What could be done to improve your LFS?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, local fish stores are an important aspect of the hobby. It builds a sense of community in your area and allows you to meet local reefers. However, a lot of fish stores have issues. Maybe it is the way they price their stock, the quality of the livestock, or the lack of knowledge. I wonder what could be done to improve the experience at your local fish store!

AnomMatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2. One of them has been transitioning more into freshwater, and seems more centered around pitching additives/treatments than helping root cause issues. Have seen full sized tangs for sale in ~15-20 gallon tanks.

The other hates fish :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: They're a necessary evil to raising/selling coral. Super knowledgeable and down to earth friendly though.

Brine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lucky to have a couple LFS within 20-30 minutes from me, some are dismal and some make a great effort to keep their livestock thriving. About 10-15 years ago it was much easier to acquire live rock at these LFS and nowadays I find they rarely if ever have LR. Usually what you'll see instead is a bunch of 'liferock' or 'real reef rock' sitting in a rubbermaid tub with an air pump circulating. It would be very cool to see those pieces from Fiji, Tonga or Vanuatu again

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a fan of seeing before I buy. I'd like to say prices should be better but I feel for LFS's. Its hard for good ones to compete. Online store are obviously hard to compete against. I've also notice a lot of people opening "appointment only" pseudo retail stores out of their basements.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of seeing before I buy. I'd like to say prices should be better but I feel for LFS's. Its hard for good ones to compete. Online store are obviously hard to compete against. I've also notice a lot of people opening "appointment only" pseudo retail stores out of their basements.
It's interesting to make an "appointment only" business. Has it been successful for those people?

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's interesting to make an "appointment only" business. Has it been successful for those people?
Apparently so. However, not really my favorite way to shop. I don't like being put on the spot and its kind of awkward to show up and not buy something.

Mas0n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not charge $16/lb for stark white Marco rock seeded with bottled bacteria as “live rock” lol.

It’s hard though, there aren’t many people in the hobby around me and I’ve seen several stores open and close over the years. I try to support the local stores when possible and I love having a place I can get something in an emergency, but what I mentioned above just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not charge $16/lb for stark white Marco rock seeded with bottled bacteria as “live rock” lol.

It’s hard though, there aren’t many people in the hobby around me and I’ve seen several stores open and close over the years. I try to support the local stores when possible and I love having a place I can get something in an emergency, but what I mentioned above just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Yeah I can see that with the pricing. We have two stores near me, both are somewhat so so in terms of pricing and quality

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like they need to have more of a goal for the long term. They are ALWAYS trying to sell me the most expensive and the newest piece of equipment when they should shoot for the mediocre priced equipment that will allow me to have more money to go back later

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a wholesaler. Bear in mind that the LFS bring more people into the hobby. The good ones are excellent and others dont belong in business. That being said we should all support the reputable LFS stores. They have overhead and experience mortality issues. $16/lb for anything but premium live rock is not acceptable. The landed cost of livestock is substantial. The online retailers have a definitive advantage in cost containment. There are excellent online shops bringing some awesome variety that the average store cannot. As hobbyists we too bring more people into the hobby but do not have the impact of quality LFS. I personally know retailers that have been in operation for decades which is a testament to their exceptional knowledge and levels of service. Ok i will get off the soapbox:) I wish all the very best wishes for a successful reefing experience.

Be well and happy reefing
Dan

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Store #1
-this is a pet store but has a good selection of marine fish and ok selection of corals
-at one point they had a 14 day guarantee on fish but it got abused so now it's down to 48 hours
-fish prices are reasonable but coral prices needs to be more competitive (mostly reselling customer trade ins)
-customer service can suck at times; can be passed by 3 or 4 employees and never asked if you need help

Store #2
-again this is a pet store with fish, corals and lizards
-good fish selection, ok selection of corals
-needs more competitive pricing on both
-coral prices are not labelled so have to constantly ask; has been alleged that this is so they can target pricing according to customer's knowledge

Store #3
-good coral selection but poor fish selection
-corals are sorted into price categories - $20, $25, $30...etc
-store appears to have downsized with the recent relocation

Store #4
-not sure how this place stays in business due to exorbitant prices - $16 for a 3/4" bulkhead?
-can't really recall fish and coral selection since I've only been there maybe twice and they were very brief

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pet peeve is stores that do not have prices displayed.
I go in the store and then have to ask for any item I am interested in. One store is an hour away, but I buy more from a store twice as far, because I can visit and his fish and corals all have prices.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back