What corals do Raccoon Butterflies eat

aellis9369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a racoon butterfly, and now I want it for my not-yet-a-reef tank, so I was wondering what corals they actually eat. Is it mainly softies, or any and everything?

I am okay with sacrificing soft corals for it, but I would like to keep Hammers and Micromussa.

For some reason it's hard to google detailed accounts other than just "they ate my corals"

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My LFS has a racoon butterfly, and now I want it for my not-yet-a-reef tank, so I was wondering what corals they actually eat. Is it mainly softies, or any and everything?

I am okay with sacrificing soft corals for it, but I would like to keep Hammers and Micromussa.

For some reason it's hard to google detailed accounts other than just "they ate my corals"
Most softies, zoa and corals with polyps otherwise a beautiful fish

OP
OP
A

aellis9369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most softies, zoa and corals with polyps otherwise a beautiful fish
What do you mean by "corals with polyps?"

Not to sound dumb, but don't all of them? Or do you mean more like the gonis that constantly extend them, vs. something like a trumpet or bubble?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
What do you mean by "corals with polyps?"

Not to sound dumb, but don't all of them? Or do you mean more like the gonis that constantly extend them, vs. something like a trumpet or bubble?
SOME SPS have polyps. Below is an example

1728483412973.png

lwien01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lwien01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Racoon Butterfly will eat LPS & SPS. I have a Burgess Butterfly. It nips on coral but I find LRS Chunky food, Mysis, Spirulina Brine fed several times a day keeps the fish
full. You are always going to get nipping when introducing Butterfly fish into a reef
Its unavoidable. Just keep it well fed to reduce the risk

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back