Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a euphyllia and a frog spawn fairly close to each other. I’ve recently seen these beautiful euphyllia gardens. I’m not going to for anything of that sort but these two corals do occasionally come in contact.
image.jpg

please feel free to share your euphyllia, torches, frammers, frog spawns, octospawns, and hammers

Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a euphyllia and a frog spawn fairly close to each other. I’ve recently seen these beautiful euphyllia gardens. I’m not going to for anything of that sort but these two corals do occasionally come in contact.
View attachment 3128423
please feel free to share your euphyllia, torches, frammers, frog spawns, octospawns, and hammers
It totally depends - you will know quite quickly if they are fighting. I know this sounds like I'm obfuscating - but - generally they get along ok IMHO

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
View attachment 3128423
best and safe rule of thumb is to keep corals at least 3" apart. Some will surprise you with stingers such as euplyllia which reach 4" and I just found my rainbow galaxea at nearly 4.5". Torch coral has a powerful sting.
I have no problems with hammers blended together

660g 3.30a.jpg
600g progress j.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome tank!!
best and safe rule of thumb is to keep corals at least 3" apart. Some will surprise you with stingers such as euplyllia which reach 4" and I just found my rainbow galaxea at nearly 4.5". Torch coral has a powerful sting.

View attachment 3128445View attachment 3128447
I will say - In my experience - the coral that is being 'attacked' will grow in an opposite direction. The problem is that many corals will grow to far larger than 3 inches. I just let them fight it out - Perhaps thats not correct?

OP
OP
E

ethnchrstnsn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3128445View attachment 3128447
This is exactly what I wanted to see! Beautiful tank, thank you for sharing. I just hooked up a 1500 gph hygger mini wave maker. Coolest little gadget, however, is there such thing as too violent of “whipping” or too high of flow. I have it running at 40% which is the lowest setting. The euphyllia is getting whipped around pretty good though.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
E

ethnchrstnsn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say - In my experience - the coral that is being 'attacked' will grow in an opposite direction. The problem is that many corals will grow to far larger than 3 inches. I just let them fight it out - Perhaps thats not correct?
My clove polyps growing on the back wall were quick to reach my chalice. Once stung, all polyps receded and almost transferred to the opposite side growing away from the chalice. They now have a network almost 9” in length

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is exactly what I wanted to see! Beautiful tank, thank you for sharing. I just hooked up a 1500 gph hygger mini wave maker. Coolest little gadget, however, is there such thing as too violent of “whipping” or too high of flow. I have it running at 40% which is the lowest setting. The euphyllia is getting whipped around pretty good though.
Yes, there’s such a thing. You want to provide flow compared to leaves waving in the wind and keep sediment off of them. Too much flow and you risk tearing the polyps off of the skeleton. For skeleton, they need calcium between 400-450. High phosphate will upset them. I feed mine mysis shrimp 2-3x per week

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frammer and a couple different hammers. They get along to the point of not killing each other, but still need space of their own to grow.

First pic is frammer and mint hammer. I've shuffled their position to accommodate their growth. The empty hole to the right is where my purple hammer was, growth wasn't optimal.
20230403_132431_HDR.jpg

Extra frammer and purple hammer in new spot. The purple has really expanded now that it has space.
20230319_183308.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

snorklr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after peacefully coexisting for 6 months hammer decided to develop a sweeper and sting the florida ricordia next to it...it started as a single head frag so i think they have to mature to a certain point before they get aggressive

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after peacefully coexisting for 6 months hammer decided to develop a sweeper and sting the florida ricordia next to it...it started as a single head frag so i think they have to mature to a certain point before they get aggressive
I put a small frag of my frammer in between brown palys and green striped mushrooms expecting it to beat them back. The mushrooms just covered and killed it.

fodsod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grumpy old corals lol.
Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

Nutramar Foods

AV corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3128423
Hammer, Duncan, octo and frog all getting along. Generally all corals of the same family can touch but! This isn’t always true. Just keep and eye and if you start singing those stinging tentacles then it’s obvious the coral is saying hey! Move over guy!

1682967572442.jpeg

OP
OP
E

ethnchrstnsn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s usually the other way around lol. My Florida Ricordea roams around harassing other corals all day.

OP
OP
E

ethnchrstnsn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there’s such a thing. You want to provide flow compared to leaves waving in the wind and keep sediment off of them. Too much flow and you risk tearing the polyps off of the skeleton. For skeleton, they need calcium between 400-450. High phosphate will upset them. I feed mine mysis shrimp 2-3x per week
Thank you for the reply. I will bear that in mind. I’m just trying to find a good spot for sufficient flow throughout the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
E

ethnchrstnsn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer, Duncan, octo and frog all getting along. Generally all corals of the same family can touch but! This isn’t always true. Just keep and eye and if you start singing those stinging tentacles then it’s obvious the coral is saying hey! Move over guy!

View attachment 3131640
How has your Duncan been holding up in that location. I see he’s distanced but I’m sure he still gets a taste of tentacle now and again?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ultimate Corals
Back