What are these white strings on all the zoas?

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I’ve never seen these before on my zoas. I was doing a water change a few days and ago and used a turkey baster to clean off all y rock work. A few days later all my zoas have these white strings hanging off of them? What are these? I can blow them off and they come back. Thanks!

IMG_8128.jpeg IMG_8126.jpeg IMG_8129.jpeg IMG_8130.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The zoa's could be producing mucous due to irritation from the water change or from cleaning off the rocks. Could also be vermetid snails on the rock underneath the zoas releasing mucous to catch the debris that was pushed into the water column from the water change or from cleaning off the rocks.

OP
OP
D

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoa's could be producing mucous due to irritation from the water change or from cleaning off the rocks. Could also be vermetid snails on the rock underneath the zoas releasing mucous to catch the debris that was pushed into the water column from the water change or from cleaning off the rocks.

Attachments

• IMG_8162.jpeg
    IMG_8162.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 27

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have the start of a bacterial bloom maybe? I had a topless nano tank that would get this stringy snotty white stuff REALLY bad if any sort of aerosol cleaner was sprayed within ~15 feet of the tank. It looked basically identical to what you have (especially the first pic), although mine was much worse.

I manually removed what I could and used a cheap UV sterilizer in the back compartment of the tank and it slowly went away. Is it only on the zoas or is it also on the rocks around the zoas?

OP
OP
D

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have the start of a bacterial bloom maybe? I had a topless nano tank that would get this stringy snotty white stuff REALLY bad if any sort of aerosol cleaner was sprayed within ~15 feet of the tank. It looked basically identical to what you have (especially the first pic), although mine was much worse.

I manually removed what I could and used a cheap UV sterilizer in the back compartment of the tank and it slowly went away. Is it only on the zoas or is it also on the rocks around the zoas?
It’s only on the zoas, and little bit on the rock in no light areas

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back