What are the chances of this monti ‘mystic sunset’ recovering tissue?

TCK Corals

Necrodaemus

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was moved to the new house today and I had a little mishap with this Montipora ‘mystic sunset’. It was partially encrusted to rock but I guess it wasn’t attached as well as I thought. It was laying in the bottom of the bucket with rocks and water and it appears to have gotten banged around. Will this tissue grow back over?
7E767D3B-F087-4C92-A8FC-5126DE9A7E81.jpeg

Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My tank was moved to the new house today and I had a little mishap with this Montipora ‘mystic sunset’. It was partially encrusted to rock but I guess it wasn’t attached as well as I thought. It was laying in the bottom of the bucket with rocks and water and it appears to have gotten banged around. Will this tissue grow back over? View attachment 3098271
This one had some damage and bald areas a few months ago- this is it now
A900BFA3-EA45-4FA5-A3B1-4765DE12E086.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That definitely gives me hope. It had been doing so well and growing fast and then this…
Assure calcium no less than 409 and moderate light- medium flow

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry, montis are pretty tough, it should bounce back!
I’m in a similar if not worse situation. Dropped the ball on a recent frag session and left a bucket of monti caps soaking in unheated overstrength dip for almost 24 hours. Yesterday they were super sad looking, completely bleached bone white with brown stuff peeling off, I did a quick light dip in peroxide to stop any STN. Today they are already looking a bit better, with some color coming back in patches, I’m fairly confident it should recover.
image.jpg

sorry not the best pic, you can see the digitata and orange cap looking terrible. I’ve had stuff come back from worse than this.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was moved to the new house today and I had a little mishap with this Montipora ‘mystic sunset’. It was partially encrusted to rock but I guess it wasn’t attached as well as I thought. It was laying in the bottom of the bucket with rocks and water and it appears to have gotten banged around. Will this tissue grow back over? View attachment 3098271
I had a monti completely bleach and lose its polyps like 6 months ago. Completely recovered, colored up and has grown substantially! SPS are good at recovering and people give up on them too soon in my opinion. Haven't had the same luck on lps though and typically once they lose polyps they are goners

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back