Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife just noticed a light blotch on my Blue Tang. I haven’t added anything to the tank in a month. He’s not showing any signs of distress. It almost looks like a rub or scrape to me but I’d like to get other opinions.
The blotch is a whitish grey patch behind his pectoral fin.
D7F1D3B3-203B-4644-858A-5E672C8B3D15.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the lesion only on the fish's left side? It looks like a minor scrape to me. I don't see any treatment needed at this point (but watch it closely of course!). The notch on its caudal fin looks like it could be damage from another fish - also be sure it isn't getting picked on.

Jay

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the lesion only on the fish's left side? It looks like a minor scrape to me. I don't see any treatment needed at this point (but watch it closely of course!). The notch on its caudal fin looks like it could be damage from another fish - also be sure it isn't getting picked on.

Jay
Yes it’s only the ones side. It looks like a scrape but I want to make sure with you all. Thank you

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
this happens all too often. They tend to lay sideways in between rocks and hide or call that spot home and in the process rub unintentionally leaving such marks. Do keep an eye on it to both assure it is not due to flukes and also does not become infected in any way

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Thank you!
this happens all too often. They tend to lay sideways in between rocks and hide or call that spot home and in the process rub unintentionally leaving such marks. Do keep an eye on it to both assure it is not due to flukes and also does not become infected in any way

Graemesreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BOTTOM LINE, Its most likely the beginning stages of head and lateral. I cant possibly believe that no body told you to get your water quality under control and feed the fish what he likes most all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys. I appreciate your help.
Be sure to feed properly and since it is likely an injury, add supplements to the diet. Look at Fish Nutrition post and add supplements indicated for an ill fish.

Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is not a nutrition issue nor is it a condition. Fish get injured and one nice thing is that they heal and heal quickly on their own. Fish body mass is quite nice and does not show deficiencies in diet or vitamins

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
when properly nourished/fed.
That fish is not thin nor showing poor color. It scraped itself. Having an LFS, I saw worse shape fish heal without need for diet being new arrivals. Yes diet plays a role but to suggest this is dietary is far off as fish has been eating and merely has a blemish

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BOTTOM LINE, Its most likely the beginning stages of head and lateral. I cant possibly believe that no body told you to get your water quality under control and feed the fish what he likes most all the time. Jack off above says it happens, yeah it happens when siz out of wack. What a tool box.
First, my water is in great condition.
Second, do you not see the girth on that fish? He eats very well.
Third, the way you spoke about the other contributors to this thread is shameful.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when properly nourished/fed.

People need to be aware that food is NOT a medication. Most nutritional issues are chronic and diseases are usually acute. Poor diet can bring on diseases, but a good diet cannot cure acute issues. I call this the "chicken soup syndrome".

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BOTTOM LINE, Its most likely the beginning stages of head and lateral. I cant possibly believe that no body told you to get your water quality under control and feed the fish what he likes most all the time.

The issue is the lateral scrape on the fish behind its pectoral fin, That is not HLLE. This tang has minor epithelial thinning around the front of the eyes. That may or may not develop into HLLE.

Here is the abstract to my paper on HLLE:

Here is an article I wrote on epithelial thinning:

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is the lateral scrape on the fish behind its pectoral fin, That is not HLLE. This tang has minor epithelial thinning around the front of the eyes. That may or may not develop into HLLE.

Here is the abstract to my paper on HLLE:

Here is an article I wrote on epithelial thinning:

Jay
Thank you for that information. Interesting read.
In my case though, if you look closely at the picture, the marks/discoloration around the fish’s eye is a reflection on the tank glass from taking the photo. The only mark on the fish is the area I asked about behind the pectoral fin.
But your article is very good information.
As for the fish’s diet the tank is feed:
Nori sheets, seaweed extreme pellets, spectrum pellets, high quality flakes, frozen algae enriched mysis, blood worms, baby brine. The tank also has a healthy population of pods and phytoplankton.
My fish are all fat, active, friendly and have good coloration (with the exception of the scrape on the blue).
You may notice some nips healing on his tail. This is because a month ago I added a purple tang and white tail Bristletooth to the tank and they worked out the pecking order (without strong aggression). They are all getting along now tho.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back