Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 bubble tip anemones right next to one another cus they split off each other, in between two of them is this bubbly eggy things that I have never seen. Is this some sort of eggs for clowns or anemones?

2250EC1B-9092-46A6-8B52-F05E78513AAD.jpeg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a nem expert by any means, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in for you, but my gut says those are not eggs - that almost looks like a dead, bleached BTA to me (again, I'm not super knowledgeable about anemones, so I could easily be wrong here). I do know it is not clownfish eggs though.

Also, I don't know if it would be possible, but, to get a clearer picture (and more confident ID), you might be able to use a flashlight to basically spotlight the object(s) in question for a photo.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have 3 bubble tip anemones right next to one another cus they split off each other, in between two of them is this bubbly eggy things that I have never seen. Is this some sort of eggs for clowns or anemones?

View attachment 2758160
not clown eggs and anemones do not produce eggs but often upon feeding, anemones will ball up as seen in pics. Others that ball up are xoas, palys and some mushrooms

Nutramar Foods

ReefLife_Guy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not clown eggs and anemones do not produce eggs but often upon feeding, anemones will ball up as seen in pics. Others that ball up are xoas, palys and some mushrooms
Actually, while most anemones in the aquarium hobby reproduce asexually, it is well known that anemones do participate in broadcast spawning and DO produce eggs and sperm. While I do not believe what OP is pointing to are eggs from their anemone, I am no expert in the spawning of anemones. @Eagle_Steve might have some experience with this.

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they are referring to the circled area and not the anemones that are closed up.

View attachment 2758188
That was my assumption too. My uneducated guess is an upside-down, bleached, BTA, with the white thing that looks like a garlic bulb being the foot, and the clear "eggs" being the tentacles. Again, though, I could definitely be wrong on that. As mentioned, I think some extra light may help to give a clearer picture of the subject in question.

AS

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, while most anemones in the aquarium hobby reproduce asexually, it is well known that anemones do participate in broadcast spawning and DO produce eggs and sperm. While I do not believe what OP is pointing to are eggs from their anemone, I am no expert in the spawning of anemones. @Eagle_Steve might have some experience with this.
Correct, nems (including bta) can spawn. The eggs are very tiny and I mean tiny.

looking at the OPs pic, it appears to be a sponge, bleached split balled up, or something else. Hard to tell.

@nsauer3 can you take a flashlight, shine it on that spot, and take a few pics from different angles? This may help get you a positive id.

ReefLife_Guy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, nems (including bta) can spawn. The eggs are very tiny and I mean tiny.

looking at the OPs pic, it appears to be a sponge, bleached split balled up, or something else. Hard to tell.

@nsauer3 can you take a flashlight, shine it on that spot, and take a few pics from different angles? This may help get you a positive id.
Sponge is good idea but agree a spotlight on it would help.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Actually, the males release milky substance and females release spores which can be classified eggs however not in a cluster as pictured

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefLife_Guy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the males release milky substance and females release spores which can be classified eggs however not in a cluster as pictured
While I don’t disagree that these are probably not eggs from anemones, from the papers I have read anemones can both release eggs singly and in clusters. But like I said I’m not familiar with the egg morphology of every anemone species. Here are some pictures for reference:

3A93C7A8-528A-40C0-9E8C-094C80B05404.jpeg

1E9CC0D8-AB58-42A3-B2EC-E3B9ECBD3281.jpeg

4DC16AC4-097A-4D30-8313-CA155FB3A9D7.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im going to despite the age of article express the liking of word eggs as it was 4 years ago julian Sprung at a trade show used word spores (as used for aptasia) and when I had my store, retailer seminar- term spores were used.

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to despite the age of article express the liking of word eggs as it was 4 years ago julian Sprung at a trade show uded word spores (as used for aptasia) and when I had my store, retailer seminar- term spores were used.
Not going to derail this thread, so if a discussion is needed we can take it to a new thread. While, I get what Julian said, I am actively working with numerous research institutions on nem breeding and every single scientist calls them “eggs” as they meet the classification of an egg.

With that said, please start a thread if you would like to discuss.

ReefLife_Guy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to despite the age of article express the liking of word eggs as it was 4 years ago julian Sprung at a trade show used word spores (as used for aptasia) and when I had my store, retailer seminar- term spores were used.
Also don’t want to derail this thread but just to clarify the terminology here in case this is searched in the future: Spores are referred to when discussing asexual reproduction such as fungal spores or algal spores, whereas you would use the term egg in this case because spawning is considered a form of sexual reproduction. These are sometimes used interchangeably but scientifically they are distinct terms.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also don’t want to derail this thread but just to clarify the terminology here in case this is searched in the future: Spores are referred to when discussing asexual reproduction such as fungal spores or algal spores, whereas you would use the term egg in this case because spawning is considered a form of sexual reproduction. These are sometimes used interchangeably but scientifically they are distinct terms.
Correct. And spores also does not apply to aips.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back