What’s the best type of dry/live rock (filtration wise)I should I use to start my new build

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best type of dry/live rock (filtration wise)I should I use to start my new build I’m starting a new 130 gallon reef tank and I’m undecided on what to use marko dry rock,pukani,Fiji rock,etc…???

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never set up another system with dead rock

There seems to be 3 or 4 main live rock vendors now

You will get many suggestions as to which vendor is the best

Expect 10 bucks a pound for ocean live rock, plus shipping or airfreight

Marco Rock brand now offers aquaculture rock, I know they have huge vats they culture in. I thought they had rock out in the ocean they bring in and sell, I don't know if they do now

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never set up another system with dead rock

There seems to be 3 or 4 main live rock vendors now

You will get many suggestions as to which vendor is the best

Expect 10 bucks a pound for ocean live rock, plus shipping or airfreight

Marco Rock brand now offers aquaculture rock, I know they have huge vats they culture in. I thought they had rock out in the ocean they bring in and sell, I don't know if they do now
Marco does sell ocean live rock now. I just got an email the other day.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
all the above advise is solid…
and taking a few minutes adding to it…
If you go the mariculture rock route
IMO it’s worth spending the 60 bucks on a 40 breeder and “conditioning “ your gulf rock order

what I did in the past was quarantine my new rock order from KP Aquatics in a dedicated bare bottom 40 breeder. I would monitor the rock for pest over the next 4-6 weeks ( or how ever long it was…)
….probably not enough time for every potential pest to be spotted, but absolutely better than placing the rock directly in the display…

After checking the bottom or the tank and inspecting the undersides of the rock I discovered and removed gorilla crabs, mantis shrimp, isopods, long spine urchins, fireworms and any suspect snails
I did receive free flame scallops, pistol shrimp, a very large spaghetti worm, feather dusters,,,,et et

.Don’t be too scared off from pest

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always 100% live for me over the last 30.
The benefits outway the undesireables, imo.
You can have a system with coral up and thriving in a few short weeks if you know how to maintain a reef.
My ext 170 with 150lbs GLR.
It is 4 months old with 30 hard corals, 9 fish, multiple inverts.

I have a piece of old dead, once live, rock in my ext 50. The rest is around 50lbs of GLR. The only uglies are on the dead rock.

Get your reef tank up and running asap with real live rock you wont be disappointed.

Ext 170
20240914_175643.jpg
20240904_152908.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back