What’s going on with my skunk cleaner shrimps?

Dani305

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are my cleaner shrimps doing?

They were in the corner in the sand bed for a few days. Both acting lame and not doing what they usually do. Now they have separated to complete opposite of the tank. One more lame than the other. They didn’t eat a few nights ago and I think one is “worse” than the other. I did notice one is eating more / seems more normal now. As he’s climbing rocks and going on the carpet anemone.

They seem a bit weak, And they arent swimming about like usual. They are just there in that corner. Or they were close to each other. One of them laid on their side a bit and was wiggling their inner feet. But would get back up

The one that looks the worst that moved from this corner almost looks like he may be a little fat. I was thinking he could be pregnant. but his shell looks a little dingy and he’s starting to get almost like algae on his tentacles. He isn’t moving much but if I put my tongs in he will wake up and bolt

My parameters seem good but they are from Wednesday. I got covid so I’ll be testing again tomorrow. Lol

Sal 1.026

Alk 8.4

Phosphates .067

Ph 8.0

Magnesium 1470-1500

Calcium 460

Any ideas?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

RichReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very temperamental to salinity. They were the first to go when my TM hydrometer began to fail and I unknowingly raised my salinity to 1.035. Then I had an issue with low salinity and they were sideways. Saved those 2 though. Had a 40 breeder set up to move them to. Both times they were the first to show signs of distress. Even the corals and my LTA did better than them.

The first thing I would do is double and triple check my salinity against another test method.

They will get slow before a molt but they usually hide for that.

DaJMasta

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they molted recently? It could be that there's an element that's somewhat deficient that is making it more difficult for them to molt - while it may be possible to dose it, a water change (or if you are already doing them regularly) would probably replenish it enough to be fine.

Do you think a fish could have been harassing them? They do look like they're in an oddly defensive position.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they molted recently? It could be that there's an element that's somewhat deficient that is making it more difficult for them to molt - while it may be possible to dose it, a water change (or if you are already doing them regularly) would probably replenish it enough to be fine.

Do you think a fish could have been harassing them? They do look like they're in an oddly defensive position.
I believe one of them molted a day or a few days before I noticed the change in behavior. I saw part of molt at that time. (Last Wednesday)

My long nose hawkfish was around them and is on the sand bed here and there as well but I was watching them for days and he did nothing. He could be waiting to strike as I have read they will wait until after a molt. My flame hawkfish was around them as well but not as much as the long nose.

it’s been 5 days of this behavior.

tbh all my fish have been around them checking them out. They are all yentas (Yiddish for gossips lol).

One has seemed to go back to more normal behavior and the other moved to the complete other side and seems… meh. With some fuzzy algae. I feel like he may not make it. I wonder if he’s stuck in his shell and can’t molt :(

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very temperamental to salinity. They were the first to go when my TM hydrometer began to fail and I unknowingly raised my salinity to 1.035. Then I had an issue with low salinity and they were sideways. Saved those 2 though. Had a 40 breeder set up to move them to. Both times they were the first to show signs of distress. Even the corals and my LTA did better than them.

The first thing I would do is double and triple check my salinity against another test method.

They will get slow before a molt but they usually hide for that.
I’m literally just got up to check on them and the older larger shrimp was acti my normal ( upside down on rocks) he did go to the other side where the other shrimp is. I didn’t see him at first but turned on the lights and he was there. On the sand bed.

I have an old school hydrometer. Nothing else so I will need to take a sample to get a full test. Which I plan to next weekend unless I can find the time to go to LFS.

Anyways I just went and I tested as well and it’s showing 35 ppt. Which is basically my usual salinity.

DaJMasta

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely possible for a lot of measurement equipment to drift (especially if your hydrometer is the swing-arm type), I found my tank was running almost 5ppt low a couple months ago because my refractometer slowly drifted away. Getting a 35ppt reference solution and being able to check calibration can be very handy and is probably something worth doing every 6 months or so even without any symptoms of a real problem.

Iodine is the go-to molt additive, but there are a couple forms of iodine in the tank that different supplements dose differently, so I think the water change (when not recently done) is probably a more reliable way to replace it - they shouldn't need much. That said, if they are still molting, it's probably not this.

If you can keep track of their molt frequency, normal seems to be once every 3-4 weeks in my tank. Also worth mentioning that if you see algae growing on their antenna or shell, it's probably a sign that they're late to molting for whatever reason. I've now seen in two older skunk cleaners that they show algae growth on their antennae a month or two out from passing away, presumably from old age, but there's a chance it's an indicator of some other molt problem. I did try Lugols iodine dosing the second time I saw it, and it didn't seem to make a difference/encourage a molt.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely possible for a lot of measurement equipment to drift (especially if your hydrometer is the swing-arm type), I found my tank was running almost 5ppt low a couple months ago because my refractometer slowly drifted away. Getting a 35ppt reference solution and being able to check calibration can be very handy and is probably something worth doing every 6 months or so even without any symptoms of a real problem.

Iodine is the go-to molt additive, but there are a couple forms of iodine in the tank that different supplements dose differently, so I think the water change (when not recently done) is probably a more reliable way to replace it - they shouldn't need much. That said, if they are still molting, it's probably not this.

If you can keep track of their molt frequency, normal seems to be once every 3-4 weeks in my tank. Also worth mentioning that if you see algae growing on their antenna or shell, it's probably a sign that they're late to molting for whatever reason. I've now seen in two older skunk cleaners that they show algae growth on their antennae a month or two out from passing away, presumably from old age, but there's a chance it's an indicator of some other molt problem. I did try Lugols iodine dosing the second time I saw it, and it didn't seem to make a difference/encourage a molt.
Thanks! I will def be investing in a better salinity measurement tool. I do have a plastic swinging type of hydrometer. If you can link me to a solution for that, that would be best. I just did a quick google and it shows for the digital type.

I also have 2 fire shrimp and one of them recently molted. So I don’t know if I have an iodine issue.

I believe we did a water change two weeks ago, maybe I’ll go to the LFS and get some water on Saturday and do one.

I hope that my troubled shrimp can figure out how to molt if that’s the issue. He is my newer and smaller one. Tbh I don’t know if he has molted before. I feel like he has to have had? I have had him for a little while now. More than a month at least.

Ill def try and keep track of these molts!

Nutramar Foods

Gatorpa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will def be investing in a better salinity measurement tool. I do have a plastic swinging type of hydrometer. If you can link me to a solution for that, that would be best. I just did a quick google and it shows for the digital type.

I also have 2 fire shrimp and one of them recently molted. So I don’t know if I have an iodine issue.

I believe we did a water change two weeks ago, maybe I’ll go to the LFS and get some water on Saturday and do one.

I hope that my troubled shrimp can figure out how to molt if that’s the issue. He is my newer and smaller one. Tbh I don’t know if he has molted before. I feel like he has to have had? I have had him for a little while now. More than a month at least.

Ill def try and keep track of these molts!
On the hydrometer issue I had a swing arm that literally was reading 1.021—- I didn’t believe it because there was no reason for the salinity to have dropped that much. I bought a refractometer and after calibration my salinity was 1.026, glad I didn’t trust but verified it…

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they are okay. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

One seems to be doing much better. When I got up and turned the lights on he was upside down on some rock. Haven’t seen him do that in a while.

The other one … hopefully does better soon. Thank you!

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the hydrometer issue I had a swing arm that literally was reading 1.021—- I didn’t believe it because there was no reason for the salinity to have dropped that much. I bought a refractometer and after calibration my salinity was 1.026, glad I didn’t trust but verified it…
Nuts! Mine has tested consistent. I thought if anything it would go down. My salinity has been consistently 1.026 since forever.

I take water to test when I go to the LFS about once a month. I’m definitely due!

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Longnose hawkfish are shrimp-eaters, so it may be intimidating them, but parameters are most likely your culprit.

It's best to have a test kit on hand, so you can test as needed instead of going to the LFS. Definitely get a refractometer instead of a hydrometer- much more reliable. They're only about $20.

Shrimp don't really get pregnant. They develop eggs inside them, then lay those eggs and carry the eggs on their swimmerets- the little finny things on their undersides. There isn't a point at which they get fatter. Shrimp are pretty much incapable of changing width without molting, since they have the shell.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longnose hawkfish are shrimp-eaters, so it may be intimidating them, but parameters are most likely your culprit.

It's best to have a test kit on hand, so you can test as needed instead of going to the LFS. Definitely get a refractometer instead of a hydrometer- much more reliable. They're only about $20.

Shrimp don't really get pregnant. They develop eggs inside them, then lay those eggs and carry the eggs on their swimmerets- the little finny things on their undersides. There isn't a point at which they get fatter. Shrimp are pretty much incapable of changing width without molting, since they have the shell.
I have a full test kit at my finger tips safilert and Hanna checkers… I had covid so I tested on Wednesday. So I have those numbers. I just like to compare notes with my LFS. I’ll be getting a refractometer though
if my salinity is off because my hydrometer is off me either buying a refractometer or going to my LFS is the only way I would know. My salinity has been a consistent 1.026 for a year. I don’t mix my own water, I get it from the LFS who gets it from a few miles in the ocean. Then I top off with RODI.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on these shrimp. Almost too much! But I haven’t gotten any answers to their behavior. I couldn’t find any information on how they act while they have eggs. So not sure.

I am fully aware that the hawkfish, both of them make go after the shrimp. I just don’t think that’s the only reason. Could definitely feel vulnerable and then he’s being intimidating. I have my eye on him tho!!!

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back