Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever accidentally fed an asterina star to an lps? If so, did you have any issues afterwards?

I noticed an asterina on my rock and went to remove it. I lost my grip on it and before I could grab it again it landed right dead center on my wellso. I went to get some tweezers, but when I got back the wellso was partially closed up and the star was gone. The wellso is in a low flow area on my sandbed, so I don't believe the star was blown off. And, even if it had been, it's a small tank so if it had been blown off there's only one area it could've landed and the star isn't there. I strongly believe the wellso ate it. If I don't see any negative effects I'll likely continue feeding my lps with asterinas I've removed. What are y'all's thoughts?

OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes have seen welso ,lobo,elegence also eat asterina
No negative effects? My main concern was the asterina might try to play an uno reverse card and eat (or at least try to) the wellso from the inside out. If not then I'll happily continue feeding it any more asterinas I happen to find. No sense in wasting free coral food.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Anyone ever accidentally fed an asterina star to an lps? If so, did you have any issues afterwards?

I noticed an asterina on my rock and went to remove it. I lost my grip on it and before I could grab it again it landed right dead center on my wellso. I went to get some tweezers, but when I got back the wellso was partially closed up and the star was gone. The wellso is in a low flow area on my sandbed, so I don't believe the star was blown off. And, even if it had been, it's a small tank so if it had been blown off there's only one area it could've landed and the star isn't there. I strongly believe the wellso ate it. If I don't see any negative effects I'll likely continue feeding my lps with asterinas I've removed. What are y'all's thoughts?
As with wellso, many corals with mouths will ingest or try to anything that reaches it. If un-digestable, they will reject it and expel it back out

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no ill effects ,but would not do on purpose,
Hopefully this doesn't come across the wrong way, but if no ill effects are observed I can't see any reason not to continue using them as a food source. I understand a one time feeding may not have any effect whereas continuous feeding may, and I can't think of other potential reasons besides. I'm simply curious as to what you're reasoning is.

That being said, I have no issue just tossing them. It's not like there aren't a plethora of foods out there that are known to be safe.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JBJAquarium.com
Back