Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R gang, the short version of my question: is it "normal" for a clownfish to wedge himself in a spot like this?

PXL_20220826_212153835.jpg

Further details for those that would like them:

I have a pair of captive bred black ice snowflake clownfish. They arrived as a non-paired couple, but I am pretty sure they are now paired together. The one pictured is the smaller one, and should be the male. He occasionally gets nipped at and does a little dance in response, but they play pretty well most of the time. I have had the fish since April and they have been in this 40 gallon tank since June. They immediately took up residence in one corner of the tank and spend most of their time around a coral skeleton which they have declared Casa Del Clownfish. They always hovered/floated/swam around this skeleton but recently have become more lethargic/lazy and started sitting on the ledges and doing less of their weird little clown swimming. The male clown sleeps face down in the wedged position pictured above. When he gets in this position, he doesn't move at all, like he is playing dead. If he notices you creeping up, he darts off to the other side of the coral skeleton. The fish have normal respirations and no marks, specs, dots, fayed fins, or anything else that might be concerning. They are the only fish in the tank with only snails, hermit crabs, and peppermint shrimp as neighbors. My theory is that they have finally realized there are no threats in the tank and have decided they don't have to use so much energy and don't have to keep moving. But, since I'm new to this I feel like I need to ask if there is something wrong with these little guys.

They were both fully quarantined using a mix of the programs from humble fish and Jay Hemdal. The water specs are as follows:

Temp 79.2
Specific gravity 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 13.0
pH 7.8
dKH ~ 8°
Ca ~ 450

Thank you for the help!

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are funny. He may have “adopted” this skeleton as his makeshift anemone. Mine spend 23/7 in their anemone. Whether they’re inherently lazy or just funny is anyone’s guess.
They definitely have adopted the skeleton as their anemone. I had no concern until he started playing dead. Little else has changed so I think this is another case of clownfish doing clownfish things.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely have adopted the skeleton as their anemone. I had no concern until he started playing dead. Little else has changed so I think this is another case of clownfish doing clownfish things.
Clown fish are crazy they’ll even host a wavemaker lol

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you qt and treated with humble fish and Jay Hemdal methods I think it’s just a clown being a clown lol I trust these guys they know what their doing :)
They certainly know a lot more than I ever will! And yeah, I think this is a case of clowns being weird. I just wanted to check before I woke up one day with two dead clowns in my family room.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back