Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I am new to the hobby and using a Waterbox Cube 20. I have used fish pellets as source of ammonia during cycling and Bio S everyday and have the AF bio media in the back sump of my tank. 9 days into the cycle, my Ammonia and Nitrites were 0 and Nitrate was 20 PPM. At that point my local LFS said it was fine to add two mature clowns and some Zoas. I have been testing everyday and my nitrite was at 0 for a few days straight and ammonia as well.

I have added the clows and Zoas, Clowns are eating fine and are staying to the back of the tank and added the Zoas yesterday. However, today when i did my water test.
Ammonia: 0-0.25 PPM
Nitrite: 0.25 PPM
Nitrate: 10 PPM

I am freaking out as to what might have gone wrong here, the fishes are acting fine and the Zoas are opening up slightly but nothing crazy. But my fishes are developing some blackspots on their body. (Google tells me, it might be them scratching against the corals)

Please help me, any advice to get stuff back in control?

Avast

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What testing kit are you using? Salifert kits are probably the most trusted/reliable.

Small amounts of ammonia are normal (they get converted to nitrites which in turn get converted to nitrates...) I usually recommend getting a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge and sticking that in your tank (this gives you an instant ammonia reading). You don't really need to test for nitrites going forward unless there's something seriously wrong with your ammonia levels (but everything would most likely be dead, so...)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I am new to the hobby and using a Waterbox Cube 20. I have used fish pellets as source of ammonia during cycling and Bio S everyday and have the AF bio media in the back sump of my tank. 9 days into the cycle, my Ammonia and Nitrites were 0 and Nitrate was 20 PPM. At that point my local LFS said it was fine to add two mature clowns and some Zoas. I have been testing everyday and my nitrite was at 0 for a few days straight and ammonia as well.

I have added the clows and Zoas, Clowns are eating fine and are staying to the back of the tank and added the Zoas yesterday. However, today when i did my water test.
Ammonia: 0-0.25 PPM
Nitrite: 0.25 PPM
Nitrate: 10 PPM

I am freaking out as to what might have gone wrong here, the fishes are acting fine and the Zoas are opening up slightly but nothing crazy. But my fishes are developing some blackspots on their body. (Google tells me, it might be them scratching against the corals)

Please help me, any advice to get stuff back in control?

You have added fish, and it will take a little while for the tank to catch up.

The ammonia reading is simply a test error, the nitrite is probably correct but is not important as it is not toxic.

OP
OP
AdotBdot

AdotBdot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What testing kit are you using? Salifert kits are probably the most trusted/reliable.

Small amounts of ammonia are normal (they get converted to nitrites which in turn get converted to nitrates...) I usually recommend getting a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge and sticking that in your tank (this gives you an instant ammonia reading). You don't really need to test for nitrites going forward unless there's something seriously wrong with your ammonia levels (but everything would most likely be dead, so...)
I am using the API test kits, surprisingly last week it gave me 0 Ammonia reading (the vial was yellow). Since then its never giving me a 0 Reading. Thanks for recommending the detector, I have ordered it now.

back to my issue, do i need to do anything right now?

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the API test kits, surprisingly last week it gave me 0 Ammonia reading (the vial was yellow). Since then its never giving me a 0 Reading. Thanks for recommending the detector, I have ordered it now.

back to my issue, do i need to do anything right now?
I suspect it may an issue with the test kits (many people report off test results with this brand). Stick with your water changes (10%/every 2 weeks is fairly standard), don't overfeed and I have a feeling that the ammonia badge will report levels in the normal range.

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do this with api test kit imo
7C5BEBBD-3B5B-46FC-8A43-EEE87CFB16E4.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, that was just for the intial cycling. I have got the Aquaforest ones for dkH, magensium and calcium. Will probably get a salifert nitrate one as well.
Salfert is what I use now you can test in confidence with them .

OP
OP
AdotBdot

AdotBdot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it may an issue with the test kits (many people report off test results with this brand). Stick with your water changes (10%/every 2 weeks is fairly standard), don't overfeed and I have a feeling that the ammonia badge will report levels in the normal range.
Hello, I did put the badge in yesterday It read yellow ( safe level of ammonia). Should I bother with API tests everyday now ? Or just trust the badge and just do Weekly tests ?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I did put the badge in yesterday It read yellow ( safe level of ammonia). Should I bother with API tests everyday now ? Or just trust the badge and just do Weekly tests ?
Those are good for 6-12 months. When it's time to replace it, you may find that your confidence in your tank is at the point where you don't need it.

As a new tank you can probably just test nitrates and phosphates 1-2x per week. I would switch to Salifert (Nyos, etc.) for testing kits and follow the above "trash" procedure.

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur, API tests need to be tossed in the garbage. I like sulfurt myself but I am somewhat color blind and I had to resort to Hannah checkers.

Your clown fish will be fine as they are super Hardy and tolerate swings in your water chemistry pretty darn good. If it makes you feel any better do a partial water change. But personally just feed The Little Rascals a little lighter and like the other members said just let the tank catch up which it will.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back