Weird stuff on sand bed

Blitz06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all i keep seeing this weird stuff come out of my sand and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is. it might just be detritus but I’m not to sure. They look like little tubes, and when I tried to blow them away they were deep in the sand bed. image.jpg image.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are small worms. I have them too but don't know the name. @ISpeakForTheSeas might know
Possibly Chaetopterid worms:
In this case, it's probably a Chaetopterid worm - they're very similar to Spionid worms, but they tend to prefer burrowing in the sand instead of in the rocks, and they reportedly tend to have longer palps.

That said, I say probably because to make a proper ID involves removing the worm from its tube and getting pics of the body out of the tube, which just isn't feasible.

Generally, these aren't a problem unless their numbers start getting out of hand.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, are there anything that eats those? And I’ll try and get a better pic later.

I wonder if a sand sifting goby would eat them. It would at least bury them lol. In the tank I had that goby in, these would only form along the glass.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, are there anything that eats those? And I’ll try and get a better pic later.

I wonder if a sand sifting goby would eat them. It would at least bury them lol. In the tank I had that goby in, these would only form along the glass.

Nothing eats them IME.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are predators, but the known fish predators are larger than most tanks should realistically ever house, and the inverts aren't as well studied, wouldn't be reef-safe, and/or wouldn't be available for purchase. I would also guess that - like with spionids - unless the predator can get their full body from inside their tube, the worms would probably just survive and regenerate.

So, removal via siphoning may be your best bet at this point.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back