Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever see these things before I think they are eating the algae on my glass, they don't seem to move though kinda ominous but I'm hoping you guys know what it is haha!

20221119_171519.jpg

World Wide Corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Anyone ever see these things before I think they are eating the algae on my glass, they don't seem to move though kinda ominous but I'm hoping you guys know what it is haha!

View attachment 2905138
Looks like acoel flatworms also called Ghost flatworms. While they are not harmful as red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png

Last edited:
Avast
OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like acoel flatworms also called Ghost flatworms. While they are not harmful as red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny
Shooooooot just when I thought I was home free well let's hope I can resolve it today

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Shooooooot just when I thought I was home free well let's hope I can resolve it today
What size tank? Looks like they're out during the daylight. If you have a couple inch deep sand bed you can add a wrasse. Hoevens/Melanurus or Yellow Coris would help control the population in slightly larger tanks, bigger tanks have more options, small tanks might be ok with a Six-line but they can get to be bullies - @Projects with Sam lost several fish and the most likely culprit was his Six-line. Pink Streak are less aggressive but harder to find.

OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? Looks like they're out during the daylight. If you have a couple inch deep sand bed you can add a wrasse. Hoevens/Melanurus or Yellow Coris would help control the population in slightly larger tanks, bigger tanks have more options, small tanks might be ok with a Six-line but they can get to be bullies - @Projects with Sam lost several fish and the most likely culprit was his Six-line. Pink Streak are less aggressive but harder to find.
13gal sadly I am getting a 30gal tank off of craigslist though

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back