Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm filling up my new tank with saltwater and it's about 3/4 full right now and the tank emits a weird rotten egg/beach smell. What causes this and is it bad?
Does the solid salt have a smell? The freshwater used to make the salt water?

Are you the only one who can smell it?

OP
OP
P

POIUY678

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the solid salt have a smell? The freshwater used to make the salt water?

Are you the only one who can smell it?
the salt itself has no smell, the rodi water also doesn't have a smell and no, other people can smell it too.

I've seen somewhere that moving the sand might be the cause, but the problem is that my sandbed is not old enough. I did see that there were "pockets" of air that is trapped underneath the sand and as I was spreading the sand to make it more even, a lot of bubbles came up, but I'm not sure if this is 100% the reason or not

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the salt itself has no smell, the rodi water also doesn't have a smell and no, other people can smell it too.

I've seen somewhere that moving the sand might be the cause, but the problem is that my sandbed is not old enough. I did see that there were "pockets" of air that is trapped underneath the sand and as I was spreading the sand to make it more even, a lot of bubbles came up, but I'm not sure if this is 100% the reason or not
More likely air bubbles.

Where did the sand come from?

Is the aquarium new?

IsaacHunt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm filling up my new tank with saltwater and it's about 3/4 full right now and the tank emits a weird rotten egg/beach smell. What causes this and is it bad?
The smell is usually caused by Hydrogen Sulphide a by product of Denitrators not working properly or dead spots in your sand bed.

can you identify the source i.e travel or rock. is any of the equipment USED.

if no livestock in the tank let nature take it course and ventilate the room to avoid breathing in fumes

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
P

POIUY678

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smell is usually caused by Hydrogen Sulphide a by product of Denitrators not working properly or dead spots in your sand bed.

if no livestock in the tank let nature take it course and ventilate the room to avoid breathing in fumes
It's still a new tank (just filled in the saltwater), so no equipments have been used yet. I did shift the sand a bit which allowed the air bubbles trapped underneath the sand to resurface which I think might be the cause

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have Dead spots (mulm) in my tank. I have arranged a wave maker to solve this. Might be the problem with me. Thanks for solving my problem

Last edited:

IsaacHunt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still a new tank (just filled in the saltwater), so no equipments have been used yet. I did shift the sand a bit which allowed the air bubbles trapped underneath the sand to resurface which I think might be the cause
Air bubbles are a definite indication of a dead spot colonised by anaerobic bacteria.
Sand sifting starfish and nassarius snails are excellent at maintaining a healthy sand bed.
As tank is new wait a while before adding above critters and use a rod to gently move the sand

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back