Weird issues with my coral

NaanDu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having some really weird issues with my soft corals. My leather is flattened, but always seems to have good polyp extension. I also have a kenya tree that has been dark purple and clamped up completely for the last 4 months since I added it to the tank. It doesn't seem to matter if I have them in high flow or low flow, high light or low light, they always look like this. Same with my GSP, it's in a constant state of being retracted completely. It came out for a bit when I moved it into much higher light, but then retracted completely again.

By comparison my goniopora is fully extended and looking great, my favia is putting on visible new growth basically daily, I have a maze looking great, and my zoas and palys are always open and thriving (though I haven't noticed any new polyps in months).

Does anyone have any reasonable guesses as to why almost all of my softies are in weird/bad states yet my LPS are doing amazing?

Sal - 1.024
Temp - 76°f
Nitrate - 0-5ppm
Phosphate - 0
Calcium - 250~
Dkh - 10
Ph - 8~

Don't currently have tests for any other minerals/parameters and haven't been able to get out to my LFS in a bit.

If useful info at all, my tank is also stocked with mixed gobies, a derasa clam (also thriving and has easily at least doubled in size since I got it about 2 months ago), a rock flower anemone, tiger conch, a few red leg hermits and a scarlet reef hermit, red tuxedo urchin, a small handful of astrea and nassarius snails, 2 emerald crabs, 2 peppermint shrimp, and a tiger pistol shrimp. I also have a very large bunch of chaeto chilling in a breeder box in the tank to help keep my water in check as I got a huge explosion of GHA algae not too long ago.

PXL_20240627_231603458.jpg

OP
OP
N

NaanDu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is really low.
It was trending pretty high, plus having an insane GHA outbreak, so I did what I could to reduce it after hearing that it can field the GHA. plus being told it can read artificially low when you have an algae outbreak. I'll stop trying to reduce it but I'm not sure how to get it higher without having the GHA rear it's head again.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not anchored to anything, its just laying there like a ko'd boxer.... try to stand it up, wedge it in some rocks or something. It likes higher flow and medium lighting and likes measurable nitrate and phosphate.

OP
OP
N

NaanDu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is really low.
It was trending pretty high, plus having an insane GHA outbreak, so I did what I could to reduce it after hearing that it can field the GHA. plus being told it can read artificially low when you have an algae outbreak. I'll stop trying to reduce it but I'm not sure how to get it higher without having the
Its not anchored to anything, its just laying there like a ko'd boxer.... try to stand it up, wedge it in some rocks or something. It likes higher flow and medium lighting and likes measurable nitrate and phosphate.
That's after I moved it to the sandbed to see if it was in too bright of light. I had it near the top of my rock work and just like in the pic the polyps were always out but it was also always flattened. Figured I'd move it down to see if having less light would help it stand upright to reach for the light more, but even after a week or so it's still laying flat with polyps out.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back