Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had my tank cycling for about days with dr Tim’s one and only. This was a fishless cycle using dr Tim ammonia.

Day 1 - I accidentally added 4 ppm ammonia. Ended up with high nitrite 5+ppm and my cycle stalled.

Day 10 - So I followed dr Tim’s instructions regarding high nitrite and did a 50% water change. This brought my ammonia down to 2ppm and nitrite around 2-3ppm.

Day 14 - My ammonia went down to .25 and nitrite was still at 2-3 ppm.

Day 23 - Ammonia is still at .25ppm. Nitrite is at 2-3ppm. So I added Frtiz Turbostart 900 as per recommendations online.

Day 28 - Ammonia is still at .25ppm Nitrite is still at 2-3ppm.

I feel like my cycle is stalled. No matter what I do I can’t seem to get the ammonia to 0. I’m wondering if I should be doing another water change to bring ammonia to 0?

I’m using api and Salifert kits and there pretty close to one another with readings.

Please help!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a Hanna nitrate tester. I’m getting a reading 34.1 nitrate
Your cycle is complete. Do a large water change to get nitrate down to 5 or 10. Easiest now when no fish are present. Helps to start with less nutrients for algae to feed on.

Upvote 0

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's normal for tanks at essentially zero ammonia to look like a tenth or two ppm on total ammonia tests.
congrats, you're done.

edit: also you've been done since day 14.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 250g system. Instead of doing a large water change is it possible to start dosing with NOPOX to bring down nitrates?
With a system that large I'm guessing you have a sump also? Growing chaeto in there can manage the nutrients, just be sure to never let them bottom out.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I’ve had my tank cycling for about days with dr Tim’s one and only. This was a fishless cycle using dr Tim ammonia.

Day 1 - I accidentally added 4 ppm ammonia. Ended up with high nitrite 5+ppm and my cycle stalled.

Day 10 - So I followed dr Tim’s instructions regarding high nitrite and did a 50% water change. This brought my ammonia down to 2ppm and nitrite around 2-3ppm.

Day 14 - My ammonia went down to .25 and nitrite was still at 2-3 ppm.

Day 23 - Ammonia is still at .25ppm. Nitrite is at 2-3ppm. So I added Frtiz Turbostart 900 as per recommendations online.

Day 28 - Ammonia is still at .25ppm Nitrite is still at 2-3ppm.

I feel like my cycle is stalled. No matter what I do I can’t seem to get the ammonia to 0. I’m wondering if I should be doing another water change to bring ammonia to 0?

I’m using api and Salifert kits and there pretty close to one another with readings.

Please help!
Its normal to get such reading and it may even be a false reading depending on kit used.
Once you have ammonia steady at zero for 5 days and nitrate 20 or below- you are cycled. As a reassurance, you can simply take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back