+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox Cube 20 Bubble-Tip Anemone Tank

What started as a tank for a Haddoni carpet anemone quickly turned into a bubble-tip anemone tank. A week ago, I placed an order for a carpet anemone online. My first instinct was to add it to my Waterbox 220.6 main system. After chatting briefly and reading forms here on R2R, I was convinced that adding it to the 220 would probably not end well for some of my fish inhabitants. But at this point, it was too late to turn back; the anemone had already been ordered. I had wanted one for quite a while, and I find them beautiful and unique. I got notified of them becoming available through an online retailer, and they were on sale, so I had to purchase one.

After deciding not to put the carpet anemone in the main 220 system, I knew I had a Waterbox Cube 20 in my basement that had been decommissioned for over a year. I figured, why not do a species-specific tank? I got the tank out of the basement, cleaned it, and prepared the setup. I would instant cycle the tank by transplanting rock in my main system for a long time (2 years) covered in coralline algae over into the Cube 20.

70223025230__F335D460-BA0B-4396-A15E-D466BEDF9B7B.jpeg

The tank is in the same location it was previously set up in.

IMG_8864.jpeg

Before long, the system was up, filled with salt water and live rock. I ordered ceramic biological media online to add to the filter chamber in the tank for added filtration. My goal for the system was to have minimal rock work. I want the anemone to be the system's focal point and be of minimalistic design.

Moving on to this week. The day before the anemone was due to arrive, I received a call from the company stating that the anemone was in no shape to ship. I appreciated the phone call and the company's honesty instead of shipping something that would likely die later on in my tank. They refunded my money with no problem.

I found myself with the tank set up and running without anything to put in it. I was able to locate a very large green bubble-tip anemone online from a fellow refer not too far from me. I brought it home, acclimated, and added it to the system. Two days later, one of my friends with several Black Widow bubble-tip anemones offered to give me one to add to the system.

IMG_8907.jpeg

IMG_8909.jpeg

(The rock that the Black Widdow anemones are on is from my friend's system)

IMG_8911.jpg

(Above photo taken on 04/06/2023)

The tank so far is looking amazing! At this point, I am struggling to decide what type of clownfish to add to the system. I have two cinnamon clown fish in my large system. I hope to keep this updated as the tank progresses.

Specs:
Waterbox Cube 20
AI Hydra 26
Jeabo controllable powerhead
XP Aqua ATO
100 Watt heater
Ink Bird
Media basket
Ceramic bio balls

Main system:

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.32.22 PM.png

Attachments

• IMG_8912.MOV
    5.4 MB
OP
OP
ReefKnight2

ReefKnight2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I am starting up a small nem tank and was very curious about mixing different types of nems.
This picture was taken today. I just completed a water change, so the anemones may be slightly unhappy. So far, RBT and GBT anemones are doing fine in the tank with no visible issues. I added a small harem of pink skunk clowns, an arura goby, and a pistol shrimp.

This tank is more of a side project. My main system has my full attention, I hope this smaller system will get dialed in and be a nice accent piece.

04-25-23.jpg

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back