WB 25 Peninsula best power head location?

JamesTh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently bought a WB 25 Peninsula, and I’m super happy with it.

tonight I added a power head to my tank to increase the oxygen in the tank. I’ve placed my power head quite high up, pointing upwards, and it’s towards the middle of the tank.

does anyone have any suggestions as to if this is the best place please? I’ve included some photos so it’s possible to view rock work etc.

Also what’s the best way to check for dead spots in the tank, please?

Many thanks in advance! :)

12215DDB-5226-487D-ADBE-BB2E90A43B57.jpeg 119D7755-38AF-465C-ABDE-6C0A932CFFCF.jpeg

Last edited:

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peninsula are a challenge when it comes to powerhead placement. The most popular is placing it where you have it - on/next to the chamber area.

The solution I found that does best is buy the largest DC return pump (be aware random flow as it might trip auto-top off sensor if not set correctly) that will fit in the chamber and then use a random flow generator, IM spin stream, or Y lock-line the output. Many AIO tanks between 10-45g, have the same return pipe diameter that IM uses in their tanks so there isn't any adapter required (can't remember off the top of my head but it may be 1/2"). The linked ones are examples, but do work together in this case.

Dead spots can be detected by dosing Rea Sea's Reef Energy AB+ in different areas to see where the flow goes. It will become evident pretty quickly because uneaten food and poop will start to accumulate there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JamesTh

JamesTh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the info!

so I’ve found a random flow generator that will fit my WB cube 25 peninsula, so I’m going to buy that, and give it a try!

I’m currently using a cheapie Fluval sea power head, and last night I bought myself a Nero 5, which should help I think. I can also have a play around with the flow styles and speeds that come with the Nero 5, and that should also help I think. My current Fluval power head is either on or off. I guess if push comes to shove, I could always use 2 power heads in the tank, but let’s see.

I’ll see how All that goes before upgrading the return pump. I am currently using the pump that came with the tank, which is not too bad, it does 1000 litres an hour, which is 10x turnover. I did try with a spare sicce 1.0 but that was actually really noisy, so I swapped back.

good idea re: detecting dead spots, I’ll be sure it give it a try!

many thanks :)

Upvote 0

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a Jebao powerhead. Ow-25 is what I use in my 20g nano cube. Its placed just under the overflow opposite the return.
I run it on wave 1 and else mode switching between the 2 every few weeks. Keep flow very random.
Dont overthink your nano.
20220926_094502.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JamesTh

JamesTh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a Jebao powerhead. Ow-25 is what I use in my 20g nano cube. Its placed just under the overflow opposite the return.
I run it on wave 1 and else mode switching between the 2 every few weeks. Keep flow very random.
Dont overthink your nano.
View attachment 3081992
Thanks, I see what you’re saying! Your tank looks simply amazing!

I’m new to reefing, so I’m still learning a lot! Hmm, have you got any fish in your tank? The reason I ask, if that if not, then I think that your setup means that you can use your power heads to simply move water around ie. Create currents in the tank. whereas for me I need them to create both currents and to bring oxygen into the deeper parts of my tank. Until I put my Fluval cheapie power head into my tank, my 2 clownfish never went further down than 10-15 cms (5-6”), as there simply wasn’t enough oxygen for them deeper than that. Within 45 mins of me installing the power head, they were swimming throughout the tank :)

I’ve bought a Nero 5, which should help, along with a random flow generator. I’m going to install those, as I think that they should make a huge difference.

Btw, how did you stick your corals onto the back of your tank please?

Upvote 0

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns usually pick an area and stay there most of the day. Doubt oxygen has much to do with it. Probably moved because you changed the flow or added a new characteristic (pump) to the scenery which made them change. A Nero 5 is overpowered for a 25g - and your tank is really closer to 14-16 gallons after rock & sand and a display area equivalent to a 10-12 gallon tank. So a Nero 5 would probably be around 300x water flow at max setting. It will probably spill water out of the tank at highest speeds on pulse mode. A Nero 3 or Jebao @90's reefer are more suitable unless you plan upgrading to a much larger tank in the future.

Most people just use superglue to stick things on the back.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JamesTh

JamesTh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns usually pick an area and stay there most of the day. Doubt oxygen has much to do with it. Probably moved because you changed the flow or added a new characteristic (pump) to the scenery which made them change. A Nero 5 is overpowered for a 25g - and your tank is really closer to 14-16 gallons after rock & sand and a display area equivalent to a 10-12 gallon tank. So a Nero 5 would probably be around 300x water flow at max setting. It will probably spill water out of the tank at highest speeds on pulse mode. A Nero 3 or Jebao @90's reefer are more suitable unless you plan upgrading to a much larger tank in the future.

Most people just use superglue to stick things on the back.
Yes that makes total sense. My current Fluval power head is rated at 1600lph. So even if I run the Nero 5 at 30-40% I should be close to the existing power head, I think. I deliberately chose the Nero as it’s quite slimline, so it hopefully won’t be as obvious in my tank, as say my Fluval is. But totally get what you’re saying :) definitely good advice- thank you!

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back