+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Hoping you can help me out. I am turning my 150Gallon (48"x24"x30") into a reef tank, and would like to get 1 or several wavemakers for adequate flow. I am planning on having softies, and LPS, with the potential of some SPS down the road.

Any recommendations on specific wavemakers to look into?
How many wavemakers would i need for a tank of my size?

Thank you in advance!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Sick_man

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend a jebao because its really budget friendly and has a wave option and settings built in. You can choose between different stronger models too. However, I heard people have some that break down a year or two later but thats just some. Mine seems fine but its relatively new.

AquaCave Logo Banner

trembsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the AI Nero 5 and highly recommend it.

I too was going to save a few bucks and buy a Jebao pump but after doing a lot of asking around, and talking to my trustee LFS, I realized I should spend the extra money to get something that will last and be easy to use. I don’t regret it AT ALL! It does up to 3,000GPH and the app is SO easy to use. You can use the app to customize all the different outputs the wavemaker can do, and customize flow schedules, or use the included controller. I’m so happy with it and highly recommend the investment.

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I too was going to save a few bucks and buy a Jebao pump but after doing a lot of asking around, and talking to my trustee LFS, I realized I should spend the extra money to get something that will last and be easy to use. I don’t regret it AT ALL! It does up to 3,000GPH and the app is SO easy to use. You can use the app to customize all the different outputs the wavemaker can do, and customize flow schedules, or use the included controller. I’m so happy with it and highly recommend the investment.
good to know myself! I like it cause I have AI lights and it is all under one app

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a big fan of gyres they have good even spread in the tank, for your size I’d probably recommend two doing alternate flow. I do use MP10s for the dead spots but the gyres do the primary work. This BRS video sold me on the

I went with the Maxspect XF330. Let me know if you have any questions happy to help!

BighohoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just so you know the Nero would be undersided for a 150g... you’d need multiple. it’s a great wavemaker for smaller tanks unfortunately not for a 150g. I do agree don’t go cheap on the wavemaker... get one of the bigger brands. You want the warranty and customer service:)

trembsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know the Nero would be undersided for a 150g... you’d need multiple. it’s a great wavemaker for smaller tanks unfortunately not for a 150g. I do agree don’t go cheap on the wavemaker... get one of the bigger brands. You want the warranty and customer service:)
Customer service and warranty is main reason as to why I went AI. And yes I agree, you’d need multiple in a bigger tank. Good news is; they’re tiny and actually don’t look too bad in the tank!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my nero’s

3750AE51-E460-4BA1-9C57-73BF6AE100BD.png

OP
OP
Bhor217

Bhor217

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How large is your tank? I tend to be the victim of buying cheap which leads to multiple purchases.

How many AI Nero 5's would you reccomend for a 150G tank (with a 30 gallon sump)

Thanks for all the help@!

mooputingtong

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey All,

Hoping you can help me out. I am turning my 150Gallon (48"x24"x30") into a reef tank, and would like to get 1 or several wavemakers for adequate flow. I am planning on having softies, and LPS, with the potential of some SPS down the road.

Any recommendations on specific wavemakers to look into?
How many wavemakers would i need for a tank of my size?

Thank you in advance!
jebao cp 120 or 150. Its quiet really reliable pump.

AquaCave Logo Banner

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How large is your tank? I tend to be the victim of buying cheap which leads to multiple purchases.

How many AI Nero 5's would you reccomend for a 150G tank (with a 30 gallon sump)

Thanks for all the help@!
honestly I would do 1 Nero 5 on one side and a gyre on the surface of the other?

BighohoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do some research, watch a few videos on the Nero, MP40 and Gyres. Again I think the Nero is a great wavemaker just not what you need to move a large amount of water in a 150g add in your aquascape as a potential flow blocker and you're gonna find that you have multiple dead spots for detritus build up. In addition for $400 (2x $200 for the Neros) you can get a MP40 or Gyre that'll move the water you need and be just as quiet.

Here is a picture on my tank I rarely notice the gyres at the top and the MP10's I run are in the back of portion of the tank. I run a 100g DT and 35g sump
IMG_3059.JPG

OP
OP
Bhor217

Bhor217

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do some research, watch a few videos on the Nero, MP40 and Gyres. Again I think the Nero is a great wavemaker just not what you need to move a large amount of water in a 150g add in your aquascape as a potential flow blocker and you're gonna find that you have multiple dead spots for detritus build up. In addition for $400 (2x $200 for the Neros) you can get a MP40 or Gyre that'll move the water you need and be just as quiet.

Here is a picture on my tank I rarely notice the gyres at the top and the MP10's I run are in the back of portion of the tank. I run a 100g DT and 35g sump
View attachment 1783867
Thank you so much for the advice, i like the idea of matching a gyre with something on the other side. I will start with the Gyre and take it from there.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

BighohoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the advice, i like the idea of matching a gyre with something on the other side. I will start with the Gyre and take it from there.
Happy to help! I'm looking forward to seeing your setup! PM me if you have any questions :)

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back