+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

To make a long story short, I currently have four total wavemakers/pumps (all Jebao) that I've procured over a period of time (I like to buy used, inexpensive things when I'm just starting out before going all out on expensive stuff) and I need help figuring out where to place them on my standard 75 gallon (48") corner overflow tank.

Two of the pumps are gyre type, and the other two are rip offs of the Neros. I know the gyre types are weak for the size tank that I have, but I'm going to use them for now anyway.

2x Jebao SCP-70M - These are a cheap clone of something similar to a Icecap Gyre 2k. They are rated slightly lower than the Icecap Gyre 2k.

2x Jebao SLW-30 - These are a cheap clone of the Nero wavemakers. I think it's rated about the same as a Nero 5, but probably more like an in-between of the Nero 3 and 5.

I'm wondering where I should put these.. I was thinking either both gyre types on the back wall and the nero types on the sides.. Or the opposite with the gyre types on the sides and the nero types on the back.... or a combo of each? I'm really lost here as to where I should start before looking for dead spots.

I'll attach a picture from when I first set it up so the rockwork can be seen, if that makes a difference...
20221027_192534.jpg

Can anyone point me in the right direction? As of now, I don't have many coral, a few frags, mostly LPS.

TIA.

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You understand there is no single right answer to your question?

The Gyres are typically set at opposite ends of the tank, same are the other two pumps. SOmetimes people put on gyre near the top and the other one near the bottom (on the opposite side) to get the water making a circular flow ("Gyre").

I sometimes use pumps to aim water to drive the surface water into the overflow, to eliminate "dead spots" and just to rough the surface up for O2 exchange.

Other folks hang the gyres top to bottom to create flow across the front of the tank. My pumps in my fish tank blow on the front glass and algae grows where the flow hits the pane.

All that to say, set them up, move them around and test out what kind of water motion you get. Sometimes the wave makers will kick water out of the tank, (an undesirable feature) and other issues are bubbles popping (splashes the lights) but the goal is to get motion to keep the corals or fish well oxygenated and drift fed and prevent stagnation in spots. No right way, just my way and it is always right! :)
Excited Golden Retriever GIF by MOODMAN

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You understand there is no single right answer to your question?

The Gyres are typically set at opposite ends of the tank, same are the other two pumps. SOmetimes people put on gyre near the top and the other one near the bottom (on the opposite side) to get the water making a circular flow ("Gyre").

I sometimes use pumps to aim water to drive the surface water into the overflow, to eliminate "dead spots" and just to rough the surface up for O2 exchange.

Other folks hang the gyres top to bottom to create flow across the front of the tank. My pumps in my fish tank blow on the front glass and algae grows where the flow hits the pane.

All that to say, set them up, move them around and test out what kind of water motion you get. Sometimes the wave makers will kick water out of the tank, (an undesirable feature) and other issues are bubbles popping (splashes the lights) but the goal is to get motion to keep the corals or fish well oxygenated and drift fed and prevent stagnation in spots. No right way, just my way and it is always right! :)
Excited Golden Retriever GIF by MOODMAN

I understand, thanks. I guess my main concern was placing them in such a way where they cancel each other out and actually reduce flow instead of increase it due to opposing forces, is that even worth considering or just set them up and throw some food in to see if there are any stagnant spots?

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, thanks. I guess my main concern was placing them in such a way where they cancel each other out and actually reduce flow instead of increase it due to opposing forces, is that even worth considering or just set them up and throw some food in to see if there are any stagnant spots?
some folks like the turbulence caused by these kinds of opposing current considerations. The reef is turbulent, usually with some highs and lows across the day with a prevailing current that can be reversed occasionally, its random and exchanges water faster than we can.

collins.jason.k

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using very similar equipment I place the gyres at opposite ends of the tank, the two powerheads on the back pushing water towards the front from behind the rockwork and then I have two return nozzles pointed slightly upwards to provide some surface agitation. In any case however, experiment and see what works best for what's in the tank and what you need to keep detritus from settling in a hidden spot.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back