Waterbox Infinia 150.4 thoughts vs RSR 425 G2+ and others

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to decide between the Infinia Reef 150 from waterbox vs the Red Sea 425 G2+. Especially not many thoughts out there for infinia compared to Red Sea, seems like the WB infinia are relatively new/refreshed line

For WB 150 - need osmolator 3 ato, sicce 6.0 or 7.0 return pump, Roller (reef factory or Red Sea reefmat), waterbox DC 270 or similar skimmer
Red Sea 425 G2+ - "free" ATO, with Reefmat 1200, reef run 700, skimmer dc 600, dual dc controller purchase as bundle

Im not including wave pump or light or dosing in the Red Sea bundle as it will be fish only for now and only adding softies with caution down the road, will be adding fish that are not guaranteed reef safe and planning a higher bioload of fish. I will also be adding UV and of course heater and my own circulation pumps, lid but this does not really impact the decision between tanks I don't think.

Main draw to Red Sea seems to be 5 year warranty vs 1 year warranty, all equipment comes together on one app (a blessing and a curse, for example osmolator 3 is better than Red Sea ATO I think). Waterbox stand seems better and sump is bigger? I think both have free delivery either from online or through a LFS. Honestly looking for the least hassle to get high quality filtration setup for some nice fish.

Any advice appreciated. Considering glass cages and planet aquarium too but I really want the plumbing to be "pre done" like how waterbox and redsea would come (not sure on planet but closest dealer is not that close).

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I would do the bundle though, better options out there. I went with all ecotech components so on one app, XR15 lights, vectra M2 and MP40s and a tunze ATO sensor which are proven high quality.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like at that point I’d rather have the slightly bigger, slightly cheaper water box reef 150, if the Red Sea return pump+skimmer+controller+roller isn’t worth it. The only reason to stay with Red Sea would be the warranty I feel?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both nice tanks. Bigger is always better in the end. Reef mat is good but skimmers are just average and lights too. Without the bundle it's like 2k less and I think you can get better quality components. Yes 5 year warranty is nice.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RedSea 525 G2. It is also my first fish tank of any kind. The tank and stand look great and I have had no issues after owning it for a year. I was looking at a similarly sized Waterbox but went with RedSea because the sump was large enough to fit the ReefMat 1200 (and did not need to be modified to remove filter socks) as well as a sizeable skimmer. If I had to do it again I would look at RedSea, Waterbox, and Cade since the design gets refreshed every few years.

Next time I get a tank I would like it more shallow and to have an external overflow since I prefer the look and flow pattern possible with a flat back wall.

Lastly, under no circumstance would I get a full RedSea equipment setup. I have the ATO and it worked great for a year but the sensor stopped working a few days ago so I have had to order a replacement sensor. The RedSea return pump and skimmer use Sicce pumps which are relatively quiet but not absolutely silent like the higher end brands. I have never used the ReefDose since I got a used Versa dosing system for a good price---I don't think any dosers are better than the Versa. For wavemaker I like the look, power, and adjustability of the MP40. For lights, I never even considered getting the lights packaged with the RedSea tank since I intend to have a SPS dominant setup.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m definitely not doing the full bundle with RS would only be doing the “build a combo” just would be adding their pump, skimmer (since they use same controller) and the roller. Honestly sounds like the waterbox is better if I can get past the 1 year vs 5 year warranty but I’d love to hear from any WB infinia owners, seems like I can’t go wrong through overall.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RedSea 525 G2. It is also my first fish tank of any kind. The tank and stand look great and I have had no issues after owning it for a year. I was looking at a similarly sized Waterbox but went with RedSea because the sump was large enough to fit the ReefMat 1200 (and did not need to be modified to remove filter socks) as well as a sizeable skimmer. If I had to do it again I would look at RedSea, Waterbox, and Cade since the design gets refreshed every few years.

Next time I get a tank I would like it more shallow and to have an external overflow since I prefer the look and flow pattern possible with a flat back wall.

Lastly, under no circumstance would I get a full RedSea equipment setup. I have the ATO and it worked great for a year but the sensor stopped working a few days ago so I have had to order a new one. The RedSea return pump and skimmer use Sicce pumps which are relatively quite but not absolutely silent like the higher end brands. I have never used the ReefDose since I got a used Versa dosing system for a good price. For wavemaker I like the look, power, and adjustability of the MP40.
All good points, the infinia reef looks rather new and seems like the sump is pretty big and can now be easily fit for reef factory or Red Sea rollers though and a big skimmer

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points, the infinia reef looks rather new and seems like the sump is pretty big and can now be easily fit for reef factory or Red Sea rollers though and a big skimmer
Yeah I was looking at the Infinia recently. I like that form factor a lot! If I could get a new tank I would lean in that direction. The 22" height on the RedSea 525 does not seem high but I would not mind giving up a few inches of height in exchange for length or width with similar water volume. Lower tank height would make scraping the back glass easier. I like to keep my back glass clear.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was looking at the Infinia recently. I like that form factor a lot! If I could get a new tank I would lean in that direction. The 22" height on the RedSea 525 does not seem high but I would not mind giving up a few inches of height in exchange for length or width with similar water volume. Lower tank height would make scraping the back glass easier. I like to keep my back glass clear.
The infinia reef 150 is the 21 inch tall 4 ft long version, but I agree I do like the infinia Frag shallower 16 inch ones as well. I did consider the 5 ft long 16 inch tall one as well but I want wrasse that will probably appreciate more height based on the research I did could be wrong though

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The infinia reef 150 is the 21 inch tall 4 ft long version, but I agree I do like the infinia Frag shallower 16 inch ones as well. I did consider the 5 ft long 16 inch tall one as well but I want wrasse that will probably appreciate more height based on the research I did could be wrong though
Yeah, the standard 21"-24" height on tanks is nice. Allows for more layers in aquascaping and the fish probably like the extra height. If I went shallower then I would want 6+ ft. This is how people get sucked into buying larger tanks! The current one is always a little too small . . .

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah, if they had a 6 by 1.5 ft I would love it but it’s a little too long at their current width for now. Unless I decide to go glass cages and plumb myself I think im sold on the Infinia 150 4ft reef or 155 5ft frag for the extra length maybe. Strange they only offer the check valve on the reef model.

mizukage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a waterbox 150.4 for 6 months now. Bought it as a first time reefer because I like the dimensions and it seemed to be plug and play. After reading for abit, the set up is pretty basic. Idk if I would recommend it. Definitely can do better custom for similar amount of money or with non big brand name.

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id read through the many threads that have been started around redsea’s larger tanks failing. I’d be hesitant to go with them in this size range.

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sort of "did both"...

Went with the WB 150.4 but then added almost all of the RedSea components except lighting. I would do EXACTLY the same thing again. Zero regrets.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sort of "did both"...

Went with the WB 150.4 but then added almost all of the RedSea components except lighting. I would do EXACTLY the same thing again. Zero regrets.
My son did a lot of research and finally decided on the Waterbox 150 over the Red Sea and bought all the equipment individually. The WB has an aluminum stand, huge sump and quality built. I don’t think you can buy a custom tank for this good of a price.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a waterbox 150.4 for 6 months now. Bought it as a first time reefer because I like the dimensions and it seemed to be plug and play. After reading for abit, the set up is pretty basic. Idk if I would recommend it. Definitely can do better custom for similar amount of money or with non big brand name.
I like custom as much as anyone, but the Infinia 150 is a 4’x2’ low iron tank with an aluminum supported stand, full plumbing and sump, with a warranty for under 3k. Custom has its place but no one is getting anywhere near that price.

jasony816

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend RedSea tanks as I had the original G1 tanks and my seal broke and customer service was terrible and im sure the G2 is better but after losing thousands on live stock and the stress of having 100+ gallons of water flooding your floors I would not go with them again. I went with 150.4 waterbox and the dimensions were great compared to 425xl but I would like to say the fit and finish is slightly more polished on the Red Sea but Waterbox has a better cleaner sump, plumbing, and cabinet space. Red Sea has better warranty on paper but if they dont follow it based on my personal experience it doesnt mean much.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the water box and ended up with the nuvo 170 ext. The 30 inch width and euro brace were deciding factors for me.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back