Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any complaints about the waterbox DX 90.3? I'm about to order one and wanted a quick check to see if anyone has complaints/problems before I do.

I'm looking for something quality that is no more than 36" long (34" would be ideal), and doesn't stick out too far from the wall (why I'm looking at the 90.3 instead of the 100.3) even though I know scaping is harder with the narrower tank.
I also want something easy to setup for a beginner, so don't want to drill and plumb a 40 breeder, which would be the obvious budget option. I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money to do it right this time instead of cobbling something together, but also not looking to just light money on fire.
If there is an obviously better option to meet these requirements, I'm listening.

TIA

Nutramar Foods

dracogrey

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any complaints about the waterbox DX 90.3? I'm about to order one and wanted a quick check to see if anyone has complaints/problems before I do.

I'm looking for something quality that is no more than 36" long (34" would be ideal), and doesn't stick out too far from the wall (why I'm looking at the 90.3 instead of the 100.3) even though I know scaping is harder with the narrower tank.
I also want something easy to setup for a beginner, so don't want to drill and plumb a 40 breeder, which would be the obvious budget option. I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money to do it right this time instead of cobbling something together, but also not looking to just light money on fire.
If there is an obviously better option to meet these requirements, I'm listening.

TIA
Got the same tank myself. Can’t comment on the set-up yet as mine is being delivered in the next week. But as for the affordability and recommendations, it was the only brand two out of six LFS agreed on. And it does come with plumbing and sump that some do or don’t have. Trust your gut and go for it.

BRS

Sidsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TIA

I got a waterbox 90.3 and I’ll post my build. Plumbing sucks cause it’s all metric and the standard sump sucks unless you get the DX model. The only reason why I say it sucks because I like a custom setup. It’s a plug and play tank just like CADE or Red Sea. So all in all if your just gonna use what it come with then it’s a good setup. And amazing display tank. If I was to give advice to someone buying a tank I would say stay far far away from Red Sea tanks. Red Sea makes amazing products tho!!! Just not there tanks.
Just that it's a Waterbox (prefer Cade or Red Sea myself).
Ur the second person that’s said they would take a Red Sea over water box. . I know it’s personal preference but I don’t understand how people can buy a Red Sea tank knowing they have seam failures. And if you say that the “g2’S dOnT HaVe SeAm FaILuRe” lol I’d like to meet the person to pay the money and hope to find out they don’t have seam failure. People say that there’s a product control issue with water box but when I ask them what the issue is they can’t say what the issue is lol and I have yet to see an issue with customer service with waterbox they have been on top of it every time I’ve called. ( only my experience). Now I will say CADE is a really good aquarium and I’d probably get one over waterbox if it wasn’t for the price.

OP
OP
T

T0adman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got a waterbox 90.3 and I’ll post my build. Plumbing sucks cause it’s all metric and the standard sump sucks unless you get the DX model. The only reason why I say it sucks because I like a custom setup. It’s a plug and play tank just like CADE or Red Sea. So all in all if your just gonna use what it come with then it’s a good setup. And amazing display tank. If I was to give advice to someone buying a tank I would say stay far far away from Red Sea tanks. Red Sea makes amazing products tho!!! Just not there tanks.

Ur the second person that’s said they would take a Red Sea over water box. . I know it’s personal preference but I don’t understand how people can buy a Red Sea tank knowing they have seam failures. And if you say that the “g2’S dOnT HaVe SeAm FaILuRe” lol I’d like to meet the person to pay the money and hope to find out they don’t have seam failure. People say that there’s a product control issue with water box but when I ask them what the issue is they can’t say what the issue is lol and I have yet to see an issue with customer service with waterbox they have been on top of it every time I’ve called. ( only my experience). Now I will say CADE is a really good aquarium and I’d probably get one over waterbox if it wasn’t for the price.
Thanks for the detailed response and the build thread. Looks like your tank is coming along well.
I was hoping to get a complete plug and play system, since I’ve been out of the hobby over a decade and things seem to have really changed. I was hoping to get something with everything I needed so I don’t have to do a bunch of custom plumbing, etc. If I get the Waterbox, I was definitely looking at the DX.
Things have gotten delayed here since my moms house needed some foundation repairs, but now I’m back to planning for a reef tank. I’ve also been having trouble locating the joists under my hardwood floor with non-invasive methods, so need to solve that before I know how big of a tank I can put in this location.
I also recently noticed SC Aquarium and they seem like another decent option with a lower price, but haven’t really heard much about them. Anyway, thanks again for the input.

Avast

Sidsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed response and the build thread. Looks like your tank is coming along well.
I was hoping to get a complete plug and play system, since I’ve been out of the hobby over a decade and things seem to have really changed. I was hoping to get something with everything I needed so I don’t have to do a bunch of custom plumbing, etc. If I get the Waterbox, I was definitely looking at the DX.
Things have gotten delayed here since my moms house needed some foundation repairs, but now I’m back to planning for a reef tank. I’ve also been having trouble locating the joists under my hardwood floor with non-invasive methods, so need to solve that before I know how big of a tank I can put in this location.
I also recently noticed SC Aquarium and they seem like another decent option with a lower price, but haven’t really heard much about them. Anyway, thanks again for the input.
No problem! Good luck sounds like you got a plan and that’s all that matter no matter what brand you go with. Can’t wait to see the build!

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a v3 with the armored seams/improvements. 2 years on - so far so good...

Sidsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a v3 with the armored seams/improvements. 2 years on - so far so good...
Can’t fault you on that. As long as you know it’s good to go. I will say if those problems didn’t exist then I’d go with Red Sea. I feel like Red Sea is an amazing company. And maybe they have gotten the seam thing fixed but still I can’t trust anything until time tells. I do love all there other products. I like the additives they work good

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Hanna
Back