Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title pretty much sums this one up, I'm planning a tank upgrade and want some feedback on the equipment list, any input is welcome. A lot of this would be added gradually e.g. the controllers and auto feeder if I get anthias and the calcium reactor.

Equipment
  • 4x radion xr30G5 blue
  • DIY Bunnings lid (Aussie version of Home Depot I think)
  • 2x reef wave 45 (if mp60’s are not enough)
  • 2x mp60
  • Vectra L2 + barb and screen kit + battery backup + vectra adaptor
  • Nyos quantum 160, potential upgrade to 220
  • Nyos torq 2.0 + Red Sea carbon and biopellets (if needed and not going to 220)
  • Ai prime fuge
  • Acclimation box
  • Ehiem auto feeder (supplementing daily feeding, auto feed 2x a day)
    • marine A
    • Seaweed extreme
  • 2x two little fishes max algae magnet
  • Flipper max
  • GHL prolifux 4 + powerbar
  • GHL ion director
  • GHL kh director
    • Seawater refil
  • Coralbox dp4 dosing pump
    • Magnesium
    • Potassium
    • Bio enhance
    • No pox or acro power
  • Geo calcium reactor + carbon doser + ecotech versa + co2 bottle
    • Carab sea ARM media
  • 3x aqua heat 300w heaters
  • Ink bird temperature controller

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the waterbox 7225. What is the glass thickness, tank dimensions and tank and system volume?

Instead of the bunnings lid, you can get the red sea screen kit in Aus.
It’s 72x25x24” or 183x64x60cm peninsula tank
3/4” 19mm glass
226 gallons or 856L system volume

I was looking at the Red Sea Lids but they are quite expensive and I’ve seen a lot sag but depending on what bunnings has I might still go with one.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice size tank. 19mm glass, I would make sure the flipper max is a larger size as the smaller one doesn't do 19mm. The skimmer, I would go with the 220 unless you plan a light bioload of fish forever. You'll only end up buying twice otherwise. But I think you know that already. Maybe add a CO2 scrubber to it depending on your ph level.

If you're doing sps corals, I'd think about 8 xr15's spread more instead of 4 xr30's to reduce shading, for about the same money outlay.

And battery back-up for the mp60's or the reef wave 45's.

That's about all I can think to add, your plan looks good.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice size tank. 19mm glass, I would make sure the flipper max is a larger size as the smaller one doesn't do 19mm. The skimmer, I would go with the 220 unless you plan a light bioload of fish forever. You'll only end up buying twice otherwise. But I think you know that already. Maybe add a CO2 scrubber to it depending on your ph level.

If you're doing sps corals, I'd think about 8 xr15's spread more instead of 4 xr30's to reduce shading, for about the same money outlay.

And battery back-up for the mp60's or the reef wave 45's.

That's about all I can think to add, your plan looks good.
Thanks for the tips.

The flipper max is good up to 24mm glass thankfully.
With the skimmer, I was planning on using it to suplement the refugium but if the nitrates / phosphates got too high id upgrade the skimmer :)

Co2 scrubber is a good idea if pH starts swinging.

Ill look into 8 xr15's as its going to be a mixed reef and that might help with par zones.

Battery backup dosnt exist for the Reef Waves and if I have one for the Vectra wouldnt that be okay to get me through a power outage?

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips.

The flipper max is good up to 24mm glass thankfully.
With the skimmer, I was planning on using it to suplement the refugium but if the nitrates / phosphates got too high id upgrade the skimmer :)

Co2 scrubber is a good idea if pH starts swinging.

Ill look into 8 xr15's as its going to be a mixed reef and that might help with par zones.

Battery backup dosnt exist for the Reef Waves and if I have one for the Vectra wouldnt that be okay to get me through a power outage?

The return pump might be enough oxygenation on it's own. But think of the cost of one extra battery back-up for the mp60's verses the cost and emotional attachment of your livestock. Good luck, looking forward to seeing it up later!

Nutramar Foods

Mal11224

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good list. If you are running a fuge, then you may not really need carbon dosing. A fuge can do a great job controlling nutrients. I only use carbon reactors but that is my tank. For my waterbox, I used the red see top and it works great and does not sag. Was easy to build as well. Waterbox tanks are great. I am using CaribSea arm media and I currently have my Ph at 6.2 as it is difficult melt At 6.5 but it is good when it’s right, so just an FYI.

jblasi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good list. I have a 7226 as well. Mine is an SPS dominant, I have 4 G4 pros and I have a very even par spread across the tank. The MP60’s will work very well for that tank depending on the flow you want. I have 2 on each side blasting.
I would recommend having your ATO reservoir on the vented side of the cabinet or you will have a condensation problem.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump might be enough oxygenation on it's own. But think of the cost of one extra battery back-up for the mp60's verses the cost and emotional attachment of your livestock. Good luck, looking forward to seeing it up later!
Wouldn’t the vectra be okay to get enough oxygen in a power outage?

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good list. I have a 7226 as well. Mine is an SPS dominant, I have 4 G4 pros and I have a very even par spread across the tank. The MP60’s will work very well for that tank depending on the flow you want. I have 2 on each side blasting.
I would recommend having your ATO reservoir on the vented side of the cabinet or you will have a condensation problem.
So you put the ATO in the controller cabinet side? Do the mp60’s block the viewing panel much? And G4 pro xr 30 I’m guessing?

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t the vectra be okay to get enough oxygen in a power outage?

The two factors are sufficient surface agitation in the tank and how many fish to deplete the oxygen level.

It could be done with the vectra if the return nozzles can create enough surface agitation. It will just be easier if you've got wave makers assisting.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good list of equipment for the tank. I started my 7226 last fall and love it.

The condensation problem is annoying. I've made a lid for the ATO and leave my center doors cracked open to allow some airflow thru the stand. Putting the ATO under the overflow where there's openings is a good idea, but means that you will have some trouble running cords into the stand (no access holes).

2 RedSea 45 and 2 MP60 should work well. I'm using 2 Grye xf350's, 2 MP40's, and 1 Neptune Wav right now. I'll be adding another wav likely at some point. However my goal is an acropora dominant system, so more flow the better.

You can likely scale back the return pump to an M2. I'm running an M1 on mine at ~60% and still think there may be a bit too much flow through the sump. The water falling over the refugium section into the skimmer chamber is kinda loud.

For the lighting, I personally wouldn't do a tank without at least some T5, but 4/8 Radions should do the trick.

Take a look at the DD Jumpguard pro lid. Similar to the Red Sea lid but comes with black netting. Looks really nice.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good list of equipment for the tank. I started my 7226 last fall and love it.

The condensation problem is annoying. I've made a lid for the ATO and leave my center doors cracked open to allow some airflow thru the stand. Putting the ATO under the overflow where there's openings is a good idea, but means that you will have some trouble running cords into the stand (no access holes).

2 RedSea 45 and 2 MP60 should work well. I'm using 2 Grye xf350's, 2 MP40's, and 1 Neptune Wav right now. I'll be adding another wav likely at some point. However my goal is an acropora dominant system, so more flow the better.

You can likely scale back the return pump to an M2. I'm running an M1 on mine at ~60% and still think there may be a bit too much flow through the sump. The water falling over the refugium section into the skimmer chamber is kinda loud.

For the lighting, I personally wouldn't do a tank without at least some T5, but 4/8 Radions should do the trick.

Take a look at the DD Jumpguard pro lid. Similar to the Red Sea lid but comes with black netting. Looks really nice.
Thanks for the suggestions, Ill probably try the lid idea since the tank will be against a couch and the controller door will be hard to access.

Does the M2 make much noise at 60%

Ill have a look at the DD jump guard kit, thanks for the suggestions again

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you use those small roller pumps of the Coralbox for RO water refill? I am also making a shopping list for a Peninsula 7725. Your list was a great place to start. Thanks for posting!
Good idea but probably not, I’ll end up using that for anything the calcium reactor isn’t covering and initially before I get a calcium reactor for dosing the main things.
As for RODI refill I think I’ll just use a 20L water drum and pour it in and if that can’t fit in well enough to top up, I might add a tap to the drum or somthing and get a small hose to attach. Now you’ve mentioned it though, I might use a spare dosing head if I end up with one for that purpose.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Koen Vervaeke

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. The MP60's are every expensive. I feel many take them because the magnets clamp across 1" glass. But aren't they too powerful and too expensive, even for this size of tank? Tunze gets good reviews too, and has extra powerful magnets as adaptors, so that may be a solid and much cheaper alternative. I wish I could afford the MP40's, they should provide plenty of flow, but I am not sure if they would hold onto the 19mm glass of the Peninsula 7725. They are specked for "up to 19mm thick glass". Would be great to know. Lastly, about the reef wave 45; Shouldn't one be enough to create gyre flow? Perhaps running two simultaneously may even break the gyre patterns.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. The MP60's are every expensive. I feel many take them because the magnets clamp across 1" glass. But aren't they too powerful and too expensive, even for this size of tank? Tunze gets good reviews too, and has extra powerful magnets as adaptors, so that may be a solid and much cheaper alternative. I wish I could afford the MP40's, they should provide plenty of flow, but I am not sure if they would hold onto the 19mm glass of the Peninsula 7725. They are specked for "up to 19mm thick glass". Would be great to know. Lastly, about the reef wave 45; Shouldn't one be enough to create gyre flow? Perhaps running two simultaneously may even break the gyre patterns.
I might look into some other pumps thanks for the ideas, the reef waves would be what I would start with and if I couldn’t get enough flow I’d get some pumps on opposite side, I should of mentioned the reef waves would be next to eachother so it should make the gyre stronger

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using MP40's on the 7226 with no problem. Supposedly the thin spacer works, but I'm running them with no rubber spacer.
What settings are you running them at and are you getting enough flow on the other side?

dragon99

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets some flow all the way down, but it tapers off a lot by ~4ft. Really need pumps on both ends to get random flow. I have a Gyre xf350 on the peninsula end now, but may put some else there too. I really just don't want the cords.

Here's the "left" side with the right running anti-syc. I have had them running up to 100%, but felt that was a little too much on the rocks nearest to them.
1591493756769.png

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Buckeye
Back