Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120gallon tank 40g sump for about 3months water tests all look good I run a fleece roller, protein skimmer, and carbon in a media reactor but my water is always slightly foggy/cloudy I do have Fiji pink sand and I played around with flow rates with maybe slight to no change. Any advice would help

EF9E2621-8D61-403C-A39C-5F5653D6B162.jpeg 5C72516B-DB55-47F1-9E8D-C293231C5547.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP

89Sem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RODI filter for my water and use RedSea salt mix and mix it following the instructions and ensuring it’s fully desolved
2 clowns
2 tiger gobys
2 shrimp gobys
2 fire fish
1 long nose hawk
1 Blue jaw trigger
1 powder brown tang
1 fox face

CLICK TO VIEW

Rham1281

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120gallon tank 40g sump for about 3months water tests all look good I run a fleece roller, protein skimmer, and carbon in a media reactor but my water is always slightly foggy/cloudy I do have Fiji pink sand and I played around with flow rates with maybe slight to no change. Any advice would help

View attachment 3113446 View attachment 3113447
Do you have any carbon or floss in your sump?

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like bacterial bloom to me.In my opinion you have too many fish, to little rock in too little time.
Your tank is not mature yet, your rock cannot keep up with bioload.
I have almost identical size tank, which is 8 months old and about half of your fish.
I would concentrate on good skimming, less feeding, no more fish, aerating water and possibly installing UV filter. Activated carbon is also recommended. If your nutrients are high, I would do water changes, but mind that heterotrophic bacteria are multiplying very fast and you will not be able address water clarity solely with that.

FlowGod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like bacterial bloom to me.In my opinion you have too many fish, to little rock in too little time.
Your tank is not mature yet, your rock cannot keep up with bioload.
I have almost identical size tank, which is 8 months old and about half of your fish.
I would concentrate on good skimming, less feeding, no more fish, aerating water and possibly installing UV filter. Activated carbon is also recommended. If your nutrients are high, I would do water changes, but mind that heterotrophic bacteria are multiplying very fast and you will not be able address water clarity solely with that.
Agree with Bushdoc. Most definitely try to get that water aerated, the bacteria bloom can suffocate your fish

Avast

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RODI filter for my water and use RedSea salt mix and mix it following the instructions and ensuring it’s fully desolved
2 clowns
2 tiger gobys
2 shrimp gobys
2 fire fish
1 long nose hawk
1 Blue jaw trigger
1 powder brown tang
1 fox face
Too much, too soon.

Slow down and let the tank settle.

Top Shelf Aquatics

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What’s kind of mechanical filtration or filter socks do you use? I had the same problem, my water was clear but there was always a slight yellow/cloudy tint to the water. I changed out my filter socks for different ones and also added chemipure. Yes I also used carbon and purigen but now I know why everyone loves chemipure, you’ll get crystal blue water!

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what was said above, you could try a flocculant though along with the aforementioned suggestions. I use KZ Snow after I do my maintenance and it really does clear things up that get stirred around the tank
btw: I suspect you're familiar with a cheaper, DIY solution to KZ Snow?

OP
OP

89Sem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha thanks! I was patient cycling the tank and added everything slowly in intervals but I will admit that I did get carried away seeing them all at the LFS I got eager. I appreciate all y’all input

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

nothing_fancy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw: I suspect you're familiar with a cheaper, DIY solution to KZ Snow?
Ya, thank you, I have read that article, its a good one.

get-salty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

i dont think you have too many fish, its a big tank ! my money is on your water. test your local water.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back