Washing filter socks in washing machine?

SilkySifaka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how many folks do this. I recently (lol) learned you can reuse filter socks. I read on BRS that you can wash them in your washing machine with some bleach as long as you run a rinse cycle prior to wash any potential detergent out of the drum. That being said, it still makes me nervous as hell that some detergent will get into the sock and ultimately the aquarium. Does anyone use this method? Any issues? Just 1 rinse cycle or multiple?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do like 20 socks at a time. I just put them inside out and then run 2 cycles on hot with about a cup of bleach. then do another 2 cycles on hot without any bleach, throw them in a bucket to dry then use. sometimes they still have a bit of a bleach smell.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine on hot/cold, 2nd rinse, hand-wash speed. 2 capfuls of bleach, rinse. 4 capfuls of distilled white vinegar, rinse, and rinse again. Dry. Soak in dirty tank water in a bucket for 4 hours. Then I add them back to the tank.

00W

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run mine on regular wash hot, cold rinse.
One time only, no pre rinse, no bleach.
I rinsed them in the sink before and left them on the counter until I had all 7 ready.
I would have to sneak them in or my wife would freak. ;)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back