+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All and Happy Sunday!

I currently have a 125 gal tank with 75 gal sump. I have lots of rocks & some sand in the DT tht I will remove if this is even possible. There are 2 powerheads there as well that I knw has to be removed.

The tank is square so not sure if that’s a huge issue. I’d like some guidance if any on if I can actually do this conversion and where do I start? Can I use the same water this fish were in? Is my sump, UV light, heater, protien skimmer, are all these things needed for a jellyfish tank? Any guidance would be appreciated :) thank you

Nutramar Foods

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't have corners for a jelly tank. You may want to look at a tant that is designed for jellies

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can technically keep them in a rectangular tank, but I strongly recommend against it, as you need to do some pretty intense flow manipulation to get them suspended just right so they don't have issues with the bottom/sides/corners and so you don't have too many dead zones. A Kreisel tank (the standard style of tank for keeping jellyfish) is definitely a better way to go for jellyfish. I know people have done DIY Kreisel tanks (basically Kreisel tank inserts that are put into rectangular aquariums), but I've only seen it done on small tanks - so, doing a large DIY Kreisel may be pretty difficult and/or expensive, I don't know for sure.

Also, to sort of answer the other questions in your initial post, I'd recommend figuring out which species of jellyfish you want to keep and researching their specific needs (some may need a chiller while others may need a heater, for example). I'd also recommend looking at general jellyfish care/tank maintenance, as jellyfish aquarium needs are quite different from normal aquarium needs (and I'd really suggest researching jellyfish and their needs prior to deciding if you really want to keep them). The article linked below is a good place to start.
All of that said, personally, I'd say to do something else (like a coldwater tank or something unusual like a giant marine hermit crab tank) with the square tank, but if you really want to you could at least theoretically modify your tank to be jellyfish friendly.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can technically keep them in a rectangular tank, but I strongly recommend against it, as you need to do some pretty intense flow manipulation to get them suspended just right so they don't have issues with the bottom/sides/corners and so you don't have too many dead zones. A Kreisel tank (the standard style of tank for keeping jellyfish) is definitely a better way to go for jellyfish. I know people have done DIY Kreisel tanks (basically Kreisel tank inserts that are put into rectangular aquariums), but I've only seen it done on small tanks - so, doing a large DIY Kreisel may be pretty difficult and/or expensive, I don't know for sure.

Also, to sort of answer the other questions in your initial post, I'd recommend figuring out which species of jellyfish you want to keep and researching their specific needs (some may need a chiller while others may need a heater, for example). I'd also recommend looking at general jellyfish care/tank maintenance, as jellyfish aquarium needs are quite different from normal aquarium needs (and I'd really suggest researching jellyfish and their needs prior to deciding if you really want to keep them). The article linked below is a good place to start.
All of that said, personally, I'd say to do something else (like a coldwater tank or something unusual like a giant marine hermit crab tank) with the square tank, but if you really want to you could at least theoretically modify your tank to be jellyfish friendly.
Thank you so much for your response!!! I really appreciate your input & will do more research. Thank you for the link as well.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back