Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 1st take on a JBJ45 cabinet (the original black on is poorly made, and did no resist a few water splashes) .
3/4" Solid Walnut glued to 3/4" Plywood with a laminated face . So mostly done with 1.5" wall thickness .
Made it on top of some heavy duty casters , so I can move the tank back and forth for maintenance and cleaning
IMG_5668.jpg

I downsized the sump (which I had in my older tank) to fit the 23" internal dimensions . Even though the JBJ had the rear area for this , I figured I should just re-pipe it to use with my old sump and skimmer , and benefited from the additional volume .
Added the adjustable height curved LED light support with magnet (pretty strong) to hold it in place (so I can remove for maintenance easily) .
Currently working on a small cover to hide the pvc pipe on the top (and the whole JBJ black rear) . Started adding corals as well .

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

TDEcoral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes . I routed the rails and stiles , then added a 1/4” “buiscuits” to the joint , glued.

Thanks for the info. Only thing left to do on the stand I built is to make the doors and I'll be using the same technique. They're going to be overlay though, so I plan on routing the outside edge with a Roman ogee or something like that.

OP
OP
trummer

trummer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks fantastic! I always love walnut.
How did you curve the light hanger?
Bit of fun :) . I
Thanks for the info. Only thing left to do on the stand I built is to make the doors and I'll be using the same technique. They're going to be overlay though, so I plan on routing the outside edge with a Roman ogee or something like that.
one thing I would recommend and that I will do now next week : protect the back of each door panel with some sort of liner (I bought some black plastic panels) with epoxy glue . I noticed the internal moisture of the cabinet is very high , and tends to affect the wood .

AS
OP
OP
trummer

trummer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks fantastic! I always love walnut.
How did you curve the light hanger?
That was luck : i had planned for laminating multiple layers if walnut strips , but was lucky to find 2 Ikea shelf braces I incorporated onto the design :) . Stained them , and glued it all together

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back