Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a low priority fix for a number of months….either that, or I’m fully qualified for a procrastinators banner under my name. I’ll look into that tomorrow.

1w5GewICUncvEICUTIOnkErgMLLMu0ttqFa5DJdokcK-N35TAMUZBF7LbR3YGmST-ObDQfNJtFmBQQszCWHafhn9zb98RLjiAdRNam-sfZqyBnrdUXoPDIQPsixCCNx0ZcfbbSTj

So I originally did a Google search and did all the resets I could find…..soft, full, it didn’t matter, none of these resets worked. Eventually I found THIS link from Ecotech….a stall…. and once again did what they recommended which resulted in the red/green continuing to flash. Next I found reference of the controller being bad. I found a very generous member who upgraded his controllers and gave me his old controller. And guess what? Red - Green flashing!!!

And so finally I do a search of R2R and I find THIS LINK. SHOULD HAVE STARTED WITH AN R2R SEARCH!!!

Sure enough, the power supply was bad. By simply switching the power supply from one of my other Vortechs….BAM….it worked. Now lucky for me, being a backup fanatic, I had a spare power supply. Actually a power supply for one of my antique MP40’s. The difference is that the 40’s power supply is 2.5 A while the 10’s are 1.5 A….so no big deal using one rated for higher current. Original Ecotech next to Jameco replacement power supply:

Vortech Power Supply Replacement.jpg

So this was my last backup, and the good news is that these replacements have dropped in price from 16 to 13 bucks from Jameco.

Now word of caution for you QD folks….this power supply is NOT for you. I’m pretty sure QD’s run at 32 volts, and this one for old 40’s and 10’s runs at 24 Volts.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Reef Diaper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience recently with my MP40. I finally got it working by unplugging the AC power supply and restarting it with only the battery backup connected. Once the error was cleared I plugged the AC power supply back in and it was fine. I don't know why this worked, but it might help someone else with a similar problem. I think I will buy another power supply incase it acts up again.

Corals.com
OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience recently with my MP40. I finally got it working by unplugging the AC power supply and restarting it with only the battery backup connected. Once the error was cleared I plugged the AC power supply back in and it was fine. I don't know why this worked, but it might help someone else with a similar problem. I think I will buy another power supply incase it acts up again.

I'm going to guess that your power supply is on the way out. I say that because I believe the battery back up is supplying the correct volts/amps, so the pump starts just fine, while the power supply has something off...either volts or amps....so you get the lights flashing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the chances a second power supply would go PSSSSZZZZZZZZZET within a week of replacing another? Well it did, and it’s dead as a door nail. The little green light isn’t even on. Just to make sure it wasn’t the cord, I tried a second cord…..nothing. Just my luck.

The only luck was that I hadn’t placed the Jameco order because no rush….they’re on back order. But now I did. Order placed for THREE power supplies (I’m a back-up nut) with an expected ship date of February 21. Happy Valentine’s Day to me! With tax and shipping, $55, cheaper than buying ONE Ecotech power supply. FYI, I think I’ve replaced three power supplies with Jameco’s, and none of the replacements have died…….yet!

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back