+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have a very small leak in a upper front corner of my tank that is causing salt creep to show up under the front face of the black trim. On my next water change I want to seal this to stop the creep. Is there a safe sealant that I can use that dries relatively fast and won't cause any toxic effects to my tank? I'm thinking I may need to apply a 3 to 4 inch bead between the black trim and glass.

Thanks in advance!

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Aqueon aquarium sealant. Comes in clear and black. Clean area with alcohol well before applying sealant

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon aquarium sealant. Comes in clear and black. Clean area with alcohol well before applying sealant
Believe I have some ASI aquarium sealant left over from when I built my sump. Will that work as well? But believe it had a long cure time :/

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Believe I have some ASI aquarium sealant left over from when I built my sump. Will that work as well? But believe it had a long cure time :/
Most of them are 24-36hrs. I’ve used aqueon after 7-12 hours

Bfragale

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this is possiable in your tank- but if it’s at the very top: could you run the tank with a low water level until it dries? If you have an over the back over flow maybe move the inside part down so tank can run at lower water level.

but honestly any tank leak scares me lol. I think long term a new tank may be best option.

that’s a bummer man, good luck and happy reefing.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this is possiable in your tank- but if it’s at the very top: could you run the tank with a low water level until it dries? If you have an over the back over flow maybe move the inside part down so tank can run at lower water level.

but honestly any tank leak scares me lol. I think long term a new tank may be best option.

that’s a bummer man, good luck and happy reefing.
Yeah its poopie but there is no visible actual leak. Salt creep is just making its way from the inside lip edge to the outside bottom edge of my tank. Its just annoying see that creep that I have to wipe every couple days. Hoping there was a quick cure sealant to stop it

Top Shelf Aquatics

Bfragale

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its poopie but there is no visible actual leak. Salt creep is just making its way from the inside lip edge to the outside bottom edge of my tank. Its just annoying see that creep that I have to wipe every couple days. Hoping there was a quick cure sealant to stop it
I hope it works out man.

I had a similar issue I thought was a leak- one side always has salt creep.
Turned out my return was pointed at surface causing micro bubbles at the surface which was the cause. It was odd because it wasn’t visible but once I pointed return down a bit it stopped. If your have a power head or something in that area may be worth a double check.

I sincerely hope it’s not a leak my friend. Good luck and happy reefing.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back