Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! So I have a Prostar 150 with a bunch of coral, 3 clowns, 2 wrasse, cuc and a VERY AGGRESSIVE Purple Tang. The issue is that every other tang that i have put in the purple tang kills it no matter what i do! I have done the mirror trick, tried feeding extra food and even got a clear acclimation box for any new fish in order too try to have the purple get use too the fish before putting them in. NOTHING is working and the wife won’t let me get rid of it since it is one of her dream fish!

WHAT CAN I DO!!!!????? Please any input is welcome
Thank you!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, we place a plastic mirror on the side of the tank to allow the aggressive fish to attack to see themselves and attack, making them lose focus on other fish. We used this technique many times...works every time. I know you said you tried this. Just my experience.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trade the Purple for another smaller Purple tang. Either that or use her money to buy more tangs (kidding don’t burn me at the stake).
The Mirror trick, you got to use a huge mirror. I use a 36X24 inches plastic mirror. It works with all the fishes every time IME. I keep Purple tang too. Consider a larger mirror if you use a tiny one.
What is a Prostar 150? Is it a 150 gal tank?

Many people just name their equipment and expect other people to know what it is. Kinda crazy assumption IMO.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Cheese Griller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the dimensions, it appears to be a 110 gallon display. But it's only 48" long, so that is likely the cause of your aggression. IMO, adding more tangs to a 4' tank is futile, and that purple will probably need to be rehomed eventually as well.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't buy anymore tangs.
your tang to all other tangs when you introduced them to the tank
death GIF

Jase4224

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggressive fish in a small tank.. you could try getting a new smaller purple tang and introduce it together with a new tang. But personally I wouldn’t put a purple in that size tank, since you already have it just enjoy it for 6 months until it gets too big. After that bristle mouth tangs are more appropriate.

Top Shelf Aquatics

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple and Yellow are among the most aggressive of the tangs, but they are not unmanageably large like Sohal or Clown tangs, so they don't have the "killer" label like the other two tangs. Space is everything. If your tank is 110 gallon-ish, 4 foot tank, then the Purple is going to be the only tang in there. You can take him out and add two or so smaller more docile tangs like Flame fin, or Kole tang. I too would not keep a purple tang in a tank that size. Good luck with managing your wife and the tank. My wife does not dictate what going into the tank. She expressed preferences but will defer to my judgment as to the actual animals we keep.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the purple is the biggest in there it will be aggressive. In my tank the sailfin is the largest, which IME is why the purple is kept in check. Also have blue tang and everything is peaceful. Imo, if you want another tang, you have to take out the purple, introduce a larger tang. Let him get established and healthy, then reintroduce the purple.
Agreed, the mirror trick is the best, but if it’s not working it’s not working

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back