Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found that a vermitid snail must have gotten past inspection when I put my new frags into their QT tank. Inside the filter was two, on frags maybe 10, and on frag rack maybe like 7-8. I completely removed every single one, as well as did a coral RX dip (I know that doesn’t really do anything, thought I’d mention it).
What would be the key steps to ensuring I get these out of the tank permanently? I’d like to assume that removing them from a frag tank would be infinitely easier than a display tank, so I’m pretty hopeful.
Thank you!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found that a vermitid snail must have gotten past inspection when I put my new frags into their QT tank. Inside the filter was two, on frags maybe 10, and on frag rack maybe like 7-8. I completely removed every single one, as well as did a coral RX dip (I know that doesn’t really do anything, thought I’d mention it).
What would be the key steps to ensuring I get these out of the tank permanently? I’d like to assume that removing them from a frag tank would be infinitely easier than a display tank, so I’m pretty hopeful.
Thank you!
Break their tube then super glue them in….

Nutramar Foods

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there are no other snails in the frag tank, you could try predatory snails like babylonias or dog whelks, they will actively hunt the vermetids and other snails in the tank. aside from that, manual removal is the best option.
I believe Bumble bee snails eat them also …

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there are no other snails in the frag tank, you could try predatory snails like babylonias or dog whelks, they will actively hunt the vermetids and other snails in the tank. aside from that, manual removal is the best option.
I can look into those. Only other snails are just normal algae eaters.
Break their tube then super glue them in….
I just completely removed the snails by breaking off their entire shell into a bucket haha.

Corals.com

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pretty bad case of them. Part of the problem was I was lazy and didn't take care of them. I think the other part of the problem was feeding frozen foods. I think the particulate matter really fueled their growth.

I switched to pellet food a few years ago. Now I barely have any live ones.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M
While I can't offer any help you are on the right track not wanting them in your DT. I have an infestation in a 180g and it sucks
Nah, never. In fact I’ve never even seen their mucous nets. I only noticed them cause I was inspecting a frag plug.
I had a pretty bad case of them. Part of the problem was I was lazy and didn't take care of them. I think the other part of the problem was feeding frozen foods. I think the particulate matter really fueled their growth.

I’ll start feeding just pellets in addition to manual removal then, thank you for the idea!

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not worry about them too much but after hearing some stories of infestations, I’m going to start eliminating them.

Enderg60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral QT system also got them, I just spend a day scraping every coral in the tank, replaced all the racks and cleaned the pumps and sump in hopes of slowing them down.

I plan to remount all frags to new plugs, cover all exposed skeletons with glue and do an H2O2 dip prior to putting them in the main system. Once thats done I will bleach the QT tank and restart it.

My last 300 was infested with them and I cant stand them. This is about 90% the reason I setup a QT system in the first place.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I’m wanting to know is how fast the reproduce, and what I should look out for. If I check absolutely everything like every 5 days or something, can I catch the vermitids are they are growing their show before they reach adult hood? And just keep doing that? I have already removed every visible adult. Anything left would have to be juveniles.

Enderg60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off let me just say, these things are not like aptasia. They are just annoying to us. Extremely rarely do they become a large enough problem to actually be an issue for the coral or fish. I still hate them with a passion that burns like the sun.

They propagate through the slime they use to feed. So anywhere downstream or where some slime might get caught is where they will end up.

To be honest, if you found them in your filter youre not going to be getting rid of them without a nuclear option. Nothing is proven to eat them with consistency and manual removal is never enough to fully eradicate them.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off let me just say, these things are not like aptasia. They are just annoying to us. Extremely rarely do they become a large enough problem to actually be an issue for the coral or fish. I still hate them with a passion that burns like the sun.

They propagate through the slime they use to feed. So anywhere downstream or where some slime might get caught is where they will end up.

To be honest, if you found them in your filter youre not going to be getting rid of them without a nuclear option. Nothing is proven to eat them with consistency and manual removal is never enough to fully eradicate them.
Didn’t mention this, but I have already nuked the filter haha. Everything was bleached, as well as frag rack. Only way they could survived was juveniles on frag plugs. I have no idea what they look like. While they may not be as bad as aiptasia, I want them gone regardless. Don’t want to ever transfer them into another tank.

CLICK TO VIEW

Enderg60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....dont forget overflow pipes and cords. Cant leave any stone unturned.

Also running a UV helps a TON.

A good scrub and an H2O2 dip is good enough for most frags when transferring to a new system.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, never. In fact I’ve never even seen their mucous nets. I only noticed them cause I was inspecting a frag plug.
There are different types of vermetids and if you've not noticed any webs/nets, you might have the kind that don't bother anything...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different types of vermetids and if you've not noticed any webs/nets, you might have the kind that don't bother anything...
Really? Now that’s interesting. Would I be able to tell if they were different based on appearance of shell?
Obviously I didn’t keep any so I can’t take any pictures, but when I search online, it’s hard to find ones that are similar to what I removed. Most of what I find is just really gross ones. This picture here is most similar to what I have (had hopefully) though.

Attachments

• 5127991F-BD2D-4238-8989-10CBE3688DF2.png
    5127991F-BD2D-4238-8989-10CBE3688DF2.png
    584.4 KB · Views: 22

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to tell if they were different based on appearance of shell?
No, just whether or not they throw out webs... although IME the "non-web" ones are smaller/have narrower tubes.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back