Vermetids or did I win the lottery with a no?

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these came in on a recent Crocea clam I bought about 5 months ago. If these are Vermetids then they have not really spread like a would expect them to.
Is there any chance this is a different kind of snail/worm?
IMG_1017.jpeg

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small white ones appear to be spirorbid worms but the big brown ones are indeed vermetid snails. If you don't feed your corals and allow the food you feed to your fish to be eaten before it can get in their slime web things, then I suppose they wouldn't spread as prolifically as you'd think. I got a million of em and when I feed my corals less I notice their population decrease. You could always just crush em or superglue them to get rid of them as I'm not sure if there are predators that would actively seek them out. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks man, I thought I sealed the one on the clam with superglue but somehow it found a way to survive or I failed to seal him.

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks man, I thought I sealed the one on the clam with superglue but somehow it found a way to survive or I failed to seal him.
Yeah they can be a pest and sometimes there are those super tiny ones that just slip by on some other frags or whatnot, I just learned to live with them and crush/glue whenever I see one so my future self thanks me for not accidentally hitting one of them and getting scratched (they are sharp AF)

OP
OP
feelingfishy

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a different type in my old 330 a bit smaller but much more prolific. That is partially the reason I asked the question as these don’t seem to have the protruding tube as much as the ones I used to have.

Honestly I’m not too upset as I look at it like this, these are in the tank and maybe they are competing with a potential worse vermetid species and keeping them at bay. I think of the hydroids the same way.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back