Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My turno has had these little white things on him for a2 months, and I noticed they got a little bigger this past week. I thought they might have been vernatids for a while.

Now I see the strings.

These are vermetids right? What do I do to get them off my snail?
20221219_205020.jpg

World Wide Corals
Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is spionid worms so maybe look that up.
I've never seen any in my tank but believe most consider them to be harmless.
@EvanEggleston , if you're referring to the tentacles coming out of the sand tubes, these are spionids and can be removed, but are good cuc members (and you likely have a lot more already in the tank).

See my correction below, post #9

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EvanEggleston , if you're referring to the tentacles coming out of the sand tubes, these are spionids and can be removed, but are good cuc members (and you likely have a lot more already in the tank).
But if you want to get them off the snail, just take him out of the tank and use a toothbrush to remove them. The sand tubes are easy to remove.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to correct my comment... Spionids do not build sand tubes, the correct ID is Phyllochaetopterus. Both Spionids and Phyllochaetopterus have the 2 tentacles (called palps), but Spionids either burrow into rock/coral skeletons or build a hard tube as seen in this photo.

Screenshot_20221221-233352.png

Images of Phyllochaetopterus here.

Screenshot_20221221-233430.png

*Both photos copied from this article: https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rs/index.php

Top Shelf Aquatics

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need to correct my comment... Spionids do not build sand tubes, the correct ID is Phyllochaetopterus. Both Spionids and Phyllochaetopterus have the 2 tentacles (called palps), but Spionids either burrow into rock/coral skeletons or build a hard tube as seen in this photo.

View attachment 2943467

Images of Phyllochaetopterus here.

View attachment 2943466

*Both photos copied from this article: https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rs/index.php
100% agree with this. They aren't vermetid and are good cleanup crew. The sand tubes can just be brushed off. I have both in my tank and they are fine. I see their tentacles pulling in uneaten food all of the time and just think of the sarlacc pit from Star Wars.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah these are not vermentids. 100% agreement with everyone else. No real hard shell curly que you see in vermentids.

Also in general small vermentid snail varieties really aren't a huge huge issue unless you broadcast feed nearly every day or are running an ultra-pure system where they have no filter feeding competition.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RED SEA
Back