+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

My 40 breeder reef is about a year old and everything is settling down. Also in past two months I've seen an uptick in vermetid snails. I've picked a few off my SPS but for the most part I leave them. Are they really a problem I should tackle? I've encountered and beat most new tank issues and just don't want to disturb the tank anymore.

Nutramar Foods

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

My 40 breeder reef is about a year old and everything is settling down. Also in past two months I've seen an uptick in vermetid snails. I've picked a few off my SPS but for the most part I leave them. Are they really a problem I should tackle? I've encountered and beat most new tank issues and just don't want to disturb the tank anymore.
Actually vermatid snails r pretty innocent but there way of feeding is a big problem for corals. Their web can irritate your corals. Bumblebee Snails do work on them but still every individual is different. I too have them in my tank but I don't hv corals so I let them be there. Though,Best option is manual removal but it is very tough to remove all of them from your tank

Nutramar Foods

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont harm anything thats not a coral, and as stated above, the only way they do that is with their webs they spit out to catch food. I attack them with a management approach. Simply just smash em when you see em, and have a small contingent of bumblebee snails.

Top Shelf Aquatics

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They never really bothered anything in my tank but are annoying. I noticed after using the diy coral snow for a few months this the numbers dwindled big time. Don't know if there's a correlation but some think so.

ptrahan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the small ones. Not too bad but they are there. I am hesitant to sell or give out frags or bta because of them.
Ruler is cm, not inches.
IMG_6875.jpeg IMG_6874.jpeg

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bit of an outbreak during the first year. They were everywhere and even grew through a leather coral which was quite unsightly to say the least. They have since died back with no intervention from me and while still a bit annoying they don't appear to bother anything now.

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small colony of fruit loops zoas close up. I didn’t get to concerned. One day I noticed the webbing coming from the same plug and discovered the vermatid snail, camouflaged by coralline algae. I threw in bumblebee snails and haven’t seen any in 6-7 months. The zoas never opened and slowly melted.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back