Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently sitting at about 17 days left of my 76 day fallow period due to velvet.

It's killing me having the fish in a different tank and every day I have to talk my way down from putting the fish back in the display
Mostly, I see 6 weeks as the recommended fallow for Velvet, that's 42 days. But then there's also a lot of 76 day recommendations. So how do we jump from 42 days to 76?

I try to find an answer similar to how it used to be 2.0ppm copper power then 2.3 now 2.5 but I can't seem to find a logical explanation for the jump from 42 to 76.

Enlighten me please!

Nutramar Foods

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 is commonly the fallow for ich (though it was recently determined that 60 was adequate). 6 weeks is generally enough for velvet.
A good thing about going for 76 is that it helps to ensure that nothing survived past the fallow, as anomalies do occur, and that there weren’t any other diseases also in the mix.

Corals.com

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich and velvet can sometimes be hard to distinguish by looking at spotting alone, breathing rate and behavior can give a much better indicator of which disease a fish has. Late stage ich can also take the appearance of brook.
42 days is sufficient for velvet, 76 is more of a safety net if the initial diagnosis was wrong.

MaxM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently sitting at about 17 days left of my 76 day fallow period due to velvet.

It's killing me having the fish in a different tank and every day I have to talk my way down from putting the fish back in the display
Mostly, I see 6 weeks as the recommended fallow for Velvet, that's 42 days. But then there's also a lot of 76 day recommendations. So how do we jump from 42 days to 76?

I try to find an answer similar to how it used to be 2.0ppm copper power then 2.3 now 2.5 but I can't seem to find a logical explanation for the jump from 42 to 76.

Enlighten me please!
Following

OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich and velvet can sometimes be hard to distinguish by looking at spotting alone, breathing rate and behavior can give a much better indicator of which disease a fish has. Late stage ich can also take the appearance of brook.
42 days is sufficient for velvet, 76 is more of a safety net if the initial diagnosis was wrong.
Thank you I appreciate your time. I am 99.999% sure it was Velvet. It came in on a Clown Tang. At first I didn't see it because the tang was white. But then the light hit it right and there were hundreds, thousands of dots on him. Could not count them if I tried. Within 4 days a lot of other fish died. All the affected fish were swimming in heavy current and flashing, Fast respiration. I feel like I am accurate in my diagnosis.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Enlighten me please!
Lets revisit this-
Velvet is a flagellate whereas ich is a parasite and both have different life cycle. Assuming its velvet, your fallow period is 45-60 days or 45-50 days at 80.5 degrees
76 day period can be used but no longer an industry standard based on life cycles of various protozoans and Ich is best at 6-8 weeks.
Coppersafe and copperpower if treating is at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
If copper itself- Treatment level is .5 not 2.5

OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does sound like velvet - 42 days would be sufficient, though to play it safe I personally would go for 60.
I put my fish in QT on January 4th. I'm passed 60 days. I'm thinking about starting to transfer them over this evening. Thank you again!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the discrepancy between 42 and 76 days then just because ICH and VELVET get used interchangably?

Velvet is a LOT rarer than marine ich is. Many of the photos I see, even on this site showing "velvet" are actually showing different stages of ich.

True velvet is shorter-lived in tanks without fish than ich is. Noga says the minimum is 20 days. Still, because it is so deadly, I prefer to wait 60 days.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back