Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering installing a UV Sterilizer on my Red Sea E170. It's 37 gallon DT, with 8 gallon rear sump. I searched forUV sterilizers installed with my tank, but didn't find any examples. The return pump included with my tank is approximately 570 gph. I watched some BRStv videos on UV sterilizers and found it's recommended to install them AFTER mechanical filtration. With my AIO tank mechanical filtration is in the return chamber. Would I be able to use my current return pump and plumb the UV sterilizer in series from the return pump to the outlet nozzle? I know tuning the UV for the right flow is important, so couldn't I upsize my sterilizer to something like the 15W Classic UV Sterilizer by Aqua Ultraviolet? Any feedback is appreciated.

UV Sterilizer Red Sea E170.PNG

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tricky installing a UV sterilizer in the AIO sump on the E-170, as there's not a lot of real estate to work with. The short answer is yes - you can use the existing return pump to run it through a UV sterilizer (but it's not necessarily going to be an easy configuration). This is probably the UV sterilizer I'd recommend for your setup (since the 25-watt is overkill).

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tricky installing a UV sterilizer in the AIO sump on the E-170, as there's not a lot of real estate to work with. The short answer is yes - you can use the existing return pump to run it through a UV sterilizer (but it's not necessarily going to be an easy configuration). This is probably the UV sterilizer I'd recommend for your setup (since the 25-watt is overkill).

I appreciate the feedback. This looks like a good option. Plumbing will be tricky, but it's possible. Thanks

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back