Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a new 90 gallon reef tank in my living room, a little closer to direct sunlight than what is advisable, and having minor algae issues after 2 months. initially a diatom bloom that came and went and now sone green algae (not sute what type). I have blinds which slightly helps limit light exposure, but wanted to know people's thoughts and opinions about getting UV resistant clear tint on my living room windows to further reduce sun exposure. I really, really, don't want to go through the process of moving the tank, this is a perfect spot for it besides the light issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!

CLICK TO VIEW

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a new 90 gallon reef tank in my living room, a little closer to direct sunlight than what is advisable, and having minor algae issues after 2 months. initially a diatom bloom that came and went and now sone green algae (not sute what type). I have blinds which slightly helps limit light exposure, but wanted to know people's thoughts and opinions about getting UV resistant clear tint on my living room windows to further reduce sun exposure. I really, really, don't want to go through the process of moving the tank, this is a perfect spot for it besides the light issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!
Worth a shot? If you have never tinted a window, make sure you look at some videos so you don't get bubbles on the glass.
Side note: Some new tanks go through stages of algae blooms before things equalize.

OP
OP
Nikko

Nikko

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information! I don't trust myself to apply the tint correctly so will definitely hire a professional to do the job. thanks for your time!

Last edited:

ksc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider the sunlight a bonus. The best growth I ever had was in a tank that received 2-3 hours of sunlight through a window. It might accelerate the algae growth in the beginning, but will be a big benefit in 6--12 months. You should be able to get a blind for now though.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back