Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to replace my UV lamp I broke the wires to the starter bulb. Does anyone know if I can replace just the bulb? I found a 4 pin connector with the starter bulb on fleabay but it's $50 which seems excessive for what I need.

This is an emperor 25w 02025

fkCs94L.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been in this hobby for 25 years and I dont think I have ever seen a UV with a starter bulb......
fluorescent Lamps need starters.
The little metal can with two prongs is the same thing, it has a gas tube (a bulb) in it.

Modern ballasts have starter windings instead of glow starters.

Nutramar Foods

mnl119

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been in this hobby for 25 years and I dont think I have ever seen a UV with a starter bulb......
They had 'em decades ago. My first UV in the early 90's had one with a conventional ballast. Haven't seen one since. No quartz tube either. The bulb was sealed with rubber o-ring type looking things. Water directly against the bulb glass.

OP
OP
shakygator

shakygator

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it's easier to get out with a precision screwdriver than a molex was! Flashbacks to 2000 lol

I'm also still wondering if these bulbs can be bought standalone. No reason to replace the connector if I don't have to.

OP
OP
shakygator

shakygator

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
shakygator

shakygator

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked!

I was able to use my flush cuts and needle nose pliers to remove the old broken wires. The extra wire in there tells me this has been replaced before. I bought it used. The much sturdier wires on the replacement made it a lot easier to push them into the connector.

Initially the bulb was flickering after installation but that was the non-OEM replacement bulb that I have never used (that's how I broke this) and it was an inch too short so I swapped back to the original bulb and it works. Hallelujah. Guess I'll need to find a better replacement bulb.

1681275048078.png

1681275053683.png

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The replacement bulb was flickering because it does not match the ignitor. I assume not consuming enough current in the plasma and allowing the excess current to flow through the ignitor causing constant restrikes.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took apart an aqua ultravolet unit that was not working.

Honestly somewhat appalled by the fact that they seal the choke and starter tube in a PVC capsule. There is no filter capacitor on the starter (similar to the setup above).

They charge $150 for the "transformer" setup that has a limited lifespan based on predictable failure of a $2 part.

Highway robbery really.

BRS
OP
OP
shakygator

shakygator

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The replacement bulb was flickering because it does not match the ignitor. I assume not consuming enough current in the plasma and allowing the excess current to flow through the ignitor causing constant restrikes.
The question is: if my starter was not matching the replacement bulb but the OEM bulb worked...was the replacement bulb wrong to begin with?

OP
OP
shakygator

shakygator

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took apart an aqua ultravolet unit that was not working.

Honestly somewhat appalled by the fact that they seal the choke and starter tube in a PVC capsule. There is no filter capacitor on the starter (similar to the setup above).

They charge $150 for the "transformer" setup that has a limited lifespan based on predictable failure of a $2 part.

Highway robbery really.
I know someone that was just trying to figure out how to open that sealed transformer.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is: if my starter was not matching the replacement bulb but the OEM bulb worked...was the replacement bulb wrong to begin with?
Hard to tell -
The replacement bulb may have a slightly different operating spec are not be of the same quality (coating on the electrodes). Typically when the coating on the electrodes wears (splatter deposits from striking on bulb envelope) the tube will flicker as it can't sustain the plasma arc properly.

This is a decent technical read (one of the better ones I have seen) on the subject.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Geo's Reef
Back