Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, probably a longshot, but is anybody still doing this? If so, any advice or design thoughts. I am in the process of downsizing and dispensing with my 3/4HP chiller. I have a heat exchanger sitting around that I never used because it was mis-sized by the vendor. I was promised a replacement that never arrived :(. Now that I'm deleting 400 gallons from my system, it may actually be big enough now :).

Top Shelf Aquatics

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, probably a longshot, but is anybody still doing this? If so, any advice or design thoughts. I am in the process of downsizing and dispensing with my 3/4HP chiller. I have a heat exchanger sitting around that I never used because it was mis-sized by the vendor. I was promised a replacement that never arrived :(. Now that I'm deleting 400 gallons from my system, it may actually be big enough now :).
Hey Simon… I thought you said you were getting out of the hobby. Happy to learn you’ll be sticking around with a smaller system!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know, I did say that :). My sons talked me into retaining the smaller tank (110 gallons). Way to stick to my convictions ......

Top Shelf Aquatics

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Submerged AC Power Return and Skimmer Pumps, I would ditch them, and switch to the Submerged 24Vdc Return pumps, as there is much less heat transferred too the water. BTW, I did the math, using my total gross wattage rate. For a Simplicity 1000 pump, the payback was about 14 months, the 1600, about 10 months. I was not able to factor in if there was any extra heater usage, but I think it would balance out, as I have to use multiple fans to cool during the Summer. Plus there’s the extra RO/DI Make-up water.

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know, I did say that :). My sons talked me into retaining the smaller tank (110 gallons). Way to stick to my convictions ......
here's to son power!

mine convinced me to get back into diving!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Submerged AC Power Return and Skimmer Pumps, I would ditch them, and switch to the Submerged 24Vdc Return pumps, as there is much less heat transferred too the water. BTW, I did the math, using my total gross wattage rate. For a Simplicity 1000 pump, the payback was about 14 months, the 1600, about 10 months. I was not able to factor in if there was any extra heater usage, but I think it would balance out, as I have to use multiple fans to cool during the Summer. Plus there’s the extra RO/DI Make-up water.
I don't have any submerged pumps, whether 110 or 24 volt. Once I ditch the 450, heat may be much less of a problem.

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cistern behind my house that sits directly under a planned addition of a sun-room/veranda that would house my main marine system if I do go this route.
My plans include a closed loop with several piping switchbacks in the cistern to allow for geothermal cooling should I need it. I have not started specific plans or done the calculations, but geothermal sources are probably the cheapest and easiest cooling method available.

Typically in central Illinois USA, I would not need cooling beyond my house thermostat, but I would like to keep plants in the addition, which would require a "greenhouse" portion with direct sunlight that has the potential to overheat the room. I plan to include exhaust fans and keep the aquarium portion in partial/full shade, but additional cooling would be a nice safeguard and could be easily acquired through geothermal use of the cistern.

My lack of experience and minimal specific research are probably not much help to you here, but I do find geothermal considerations quite interesting to my engineering and DIY senses.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting. I collect my RODI waste water in a 150 gallon tub under my deck to the use to water the garden. I wonder if that will stay cool enough run through a heat exchanger. I may try that first.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

World Wide Corals
Back