Using Sodium Hydroxide

steve 1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have been using the DYI recipe for years but using Sodium carbonate instead of bicarbonate to help with PH. I was just reading a new recipe but instead using Sodium Hydroxide in the recipe. I have a few questions. My main reason for using this is to raise my PH value as I struggle in the summer months to keep my ph above 8.0.
I see the mixed to add to a gallon of water but would it be dosed differently and using a different amount compared to the sodium carbonate?
Also how dangerous is this product to use ?
What gallon container would you recommend as I read it gets hot and can melt plastic?
My system is 160G and my DKH ranges between 8.1 to 8.7. Thanks

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not with this product is made for.

Use sodium hydroxide instead of sodium carbonate in your recipe. 283g per gallon will match the potency for the sodium carbonate recipe.

Sodium hydroxide will raise pH AND alkalinity. You can’t just use it to raise pH.

Recalibrate your pH probe. Your pH is fine. No need to adjust it.

OP
OP
S

steve 1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not with this product is made for.

Use sodium hydroxide instead of sodium carbonate in your recipe. 283g per gallon will match the potency for the sodium carbonate recipe.

Sodium hydroxide will raise pH AND alkalinity. You can’t just use it to raise pH.

Recalibrate your pH probe. Your pH is fine. No need to adjust it.
Yes I would use the hydroxide instead of the sodium carbonate. All my ph probes are calibrated.

OP
OP
S

steve 1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions answered in the diy thread. .:)
Yes I saw it thank you. I found it on Amazon. Once the weather gets back down into the 70s from near 100 degrees then I can open windows and the ph will jump back up. Last week we had a couple days in the 70s and I opened windows and my ph was back up to 8.1 / 8.2z. But this week like today heat index is 105 and ph is struggling to climb above 7.9. Crazy

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I changed to this over a year ago, just what I needed. Thanks Randy for a great modification !!!!

BigReefDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I changed to this over a year ago, just what I needed. Thanks Randy for a great modification !!!!
Swapping to this starting this weekend. Just making sure I have the right ingredients. Always coming back to this thread!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back