Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add some more Anthias and in the past it’s been hit or miss with them and Uronema. Mostly miss so trying to get a better understanding of how Uronema occurs.

If Anthias are in a LFS for several weeks and look healthy with no sores are they harboring Uronema and is it just that they are not displaying it? If I buy those Anthias and bring them home and put them in a QT with new saltwater and they develop Uronema, is it because the stress of bringing them home and QTing them caused Uronema to take hold? If so, why didn’t they develop Uronema in the LFS as surely the shipping from a wholesaler/reef would have been equally stressful if not more so.
Since you can’t see Uronema until it is too late, is there anything that can be done to nip it in the bud before the sores emerge?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add some more Anthias and in the past it’s been hit or miss with them and Uronema. Mostly miss so trying to get a better understanding of how Uronema occurs.

If Anthias are in a LFS for several weeks and look healthy with no sores are they harboring Uronema and is it just that they are not displaying it? If I buy those Anthias and bring them home and put them in a QT with new saltwater and they develop Uronema, is it because the stress of bringing them home and QTing them caused Uronema to take hold? If so, why didn’t they develop Uronema in the LFS as surely the shipping from a wholesaler/reef would have been equally stressful if not more so.
Since you can’t see Uronema until it is too late, is there anything that can be done to nip it in the bud before the sores emerge?
That’s a good question, nobody really knows. On the one hand, intercellular Uronema almost always shows up in fish a few weeks after importation. On the other hand, nobody really knows how these fish get infected.
Chloroquine will reduce free living Uronema in aquariums….but will that help internal infections? Doubtful.
I do like the idea of letting any fish chill at the LFS for few weeks since the mortality rate on newly imported fish are skewed to the first 4 weeks. However, if the store doesn’t care for the anthias properly, they can get pretty skinny in their tanks and that isn’t good.
Not all anthia are equal when it comes to Uronema - but formal studies haven’t been done. I like Bartlett’s but they’ve gotten very expensive. Squampinnis show up with Uronema a lot, but does that just reflect how common they are in the trade?
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I happen to buy 7 different ones which 6 remain and never had it. I think a lot depends on stress factors and preparation. Stress from netting alone and I do give them a ruby Rally bath before introduction which May or May not be a difference maker or call me lucky

Avast
OP
OP
JGT

JGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Will just have to roll the dice and hope for the best. Maybe I can get my LFS to hold them for a few weeks before I pick them up.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are at least a couple studies - talking about stress (cortisol levels) in netted fish - it lasts a very very short time. My guess is that it relates to collection - and how long it takes them to get to their 'forever home' - as well as fighting - with the fish already there. In addition - anthers - often fight with one-another causing stress and presumed immunosuppression. That said - Many human patients on much much higher doses of steroids - than the levels found in fish do not die abruptly. I would suggest there is another reason.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back