Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hitchiker urchin. He is now about dime size. I think he is a pencil urchin, but I cant be sure. He is pure black. I am noticing my coralline is being chewed off in tiny sections, and now I see a spot on a zoa rock that is missing coralline (was previously there) and possibly even eate some zoa heads. I am not sure if they were eaten, or just reallly ticked off and closed now.

Have urchins been known to damage zoas?

Corals.com

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few rock boring urchins, as far as I have read they eat algae and coralline algae. They shouldn't eat your polyps, long-spine urchins have been know to do that though I guess.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ricordianut

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have many issues with my urchins in my tank either eating my zoas or damaging them as they crawl around the rock work the like peel the zoos ans palys right off i got rid of all of mine

OP
OP
minibowmatt

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if this is a longspined Urchin.. He is black... And he definetly did some damage to a colony of palys... looks like I will be doing some hunting tonight after lights out...Thanx Guys, I knew I could count on you for a quick answer!

BRS

got zoanthids?

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pencil urchin that i banished to the sump because he bull-dozed thru some eagle eyes eating 4-6 polyps. I'm just glad I caught him before I bought the expensive palys. I must say I did have him a year or so before he munched on them, so not sure if it was an accident or he just had an appetite. Scott ( aka reef fanatic @ RC)

wild-tiger

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's ok, I'd like to throw in my experience also.

I just recently got rid of my long spinned urchin. I loved him but he was such a pest. Constantly knocking over the coral frags and he even ate 3 polyps off a 6 polyp frag. I was so not cheese with this guy.

Please do becareful getting him out, the short spines that are close to the body are venomous and the long spines are actually very fragile and trust me, because i learned this from experience, if one breaks off in your finger it's not pleasant and can cause a nasty infection.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back