Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about adding some macroalgae to my display tank in order to promote pod populations, remove nutrients, and add some reds and greens. Problem is, I have two Echinometra viridis urchins that came in on my rock. I understand that tuxedo and long spine urchins are likely to eat macros, but I read that this type of urchin eats more biofilm and coralline, and leaves macroalgae alone. They haven't touched any of the Acetabularia, Dictyota, and Graciliara (I think) that came on the rocks with them. Thoughts?

Top Shelf Aquatics

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably right. That graciliara remains uneaten even though it's pretty yummy to herbivores is a good indicator.
Dictyota not very tasty so that doesn't tell you much.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably right. That graciliara remains uneaten even though it's pretty yummy to herbivores is a good indicator.
Dictyota not very tasty so that doesn't tell you much.

Thanks! I've never actually seen the urchins near the gracilaria, but it seems like something they would seek out. Would Dragon's Breath, Caulerpa prolifera, and green ogo be good starter macros?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, while I have this thread, what sort of macro is this? I'm pretty sure it isn't bryopsis, it's too rigid and rounded like a pipecleaner. It grows pretty fast, but I sort of like how it looks, so I don't mind.

PXL_20230305_142457771.MP.jpg

Sailaway

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, while I have this thread, what sort of macro is this? I'm pretty sure it isn't bryopsis, it's too rigid and rounded like a pipecleaner. It grows pretty fast, but I sort of like how it looks, so I don't mind.

View attachment 3049759
I have this in my tank, I’m assuming you got some live rock that it came on. I was told 6 months ago that I should throw away my rock because it will take over my tank, but it has never taken over so I don’t bother. I don’t exactly recall the species but give me a minute and i can tell you.

BRS

Sailaway

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neomeris sp.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure it isn't Neomeris, though. I do have some of that as well, and it looks pretty different to me. This stuff isn't calcified, and it doesn't have the white stem.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is basically the image in my mind when I'm reading this thread :grinning-squinting-face: lol
View attachment 3049939

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. I think that the urchins I have (either reef urchins or pencil urchins, I can't tell at this size) prefer to eat biofilm and coralline algae, but I wanted to check before putting any macro in.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ultimate Corals
Back