upgrading my tank. . . change up the stocking?

BRS

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will be upgrading my tank in the coming weeks, this means I will be catching all my fishes and could potentially change up the stocking if I wanted. . .

Currently my 24 gallon AIO has a pygmy angel, hectors goby, and one percula clown (her "buddy" jumped out and died last night, possibly due to aggression. . .). New tank will be 29 gallon with 5 gallon sump. Will have coral.

Would you leave it? add something? take something away? I would love fish that have the potential to pair/breed in the display, though I don't even know how likely/possible that is. . .

Anyway, what are your thoughts.

Avast

Neildo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will be upgrading my tank in the coming weeks, this means I will be catching all my fishes and could potentially change up the stocking if I wanted. . .

Currently my 24 gallon AIO has a pygmy angel, hectors goby, and one percula clown (her "buddy" jumped out and died last night, possibly due to aggression. . .). New tank will be 29 gallon with 5 gallon sump. Will have coral.

Would you leave it? add something? take something away? I would love fish that have the potential to pair/breed in the display, though I don't even know how likely/possible that is. . .

Anyway, what are your thoughts.
From 24 to 29 isnt a huge jump. So you shouldn't expect to see a mini cycle or noticable ammonia spike. But any disruption to the filtration will slow its efficiency. I would wait a few weeks after the upgrade make sure everything transferred well and is working normally. Before adding any new livestock. It won't hurt to get a bottle of bacteria to give the colony a little boost.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From 24 to 29 isnt a huge jump. So you shouldn't expect to see a mini cycle or noticable ammonia spike. But any disruption to the filtration will slow its efficiency. I would wait a few weeks after the upgrade make sure everything transferred well and is working normally. Before adding any new livestock. It won't hurt to get a bottle of bacteria to give the colony a little boost.
Thank you for the reply. I wasn't too concerned about cycle, and will certainty add some bacteria. I was more concerned that this may be a glowing opportunity to change up the stocking. . . mainly because it is likely the only time I could catch any of the fish without destroying my scape and corals.

I have enjoyed my clowns and angel, but maybe could try something a bit more unique? or maybe something that could breed/display unique interspecies behaviors or displays?

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bumping for thoughts??? I am pretty set on rehoming my pygmy angel. . . cool little fish but should really have a bigger tank. . . and I have seen him nip at LPS (these dudes are supposed to be reef safe, not sure if he was really picking at the LPS, but that's what it looked like). . .

What would you put in a 29 gallon???

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are about to waste money on bacteria, it's not needed even if you add fish. we're trained to buy it by sellers for all actions, it's a fleece. your system does not need extra bac added ever, after cycling, if you're using the same rocks. adding new fish does not require an increase in bacteria, that's among the ways reef peers reinforce this massive overselling issue in reefing bacteria circles. only how you deal with the sandbed and it's waste matters, not any lack of bacteria will occur.

if you want to not wing it, there's a fifty page thread on safe tank upgrades, moves and transfers/it never uses bottle bac on anyone's job for eight years/we use the new rules. we do safe tank transfers. biofilters are never lacking.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are about to waste money on bacteria, it's not needed even if you add fish. we're trained to buy it by sellers for all actions, it's a fleece. your system does not need extra bac added ever, after cycling, if you're using the same rocks. adding new fish does not require an increase in bacteria, that's among the ways reef peers reinforce this massive overselling issue in reefing bacteria circles. only how you deal with the sandbed and it's waste matters, not any lack of bacteria will occur.
No sand bed, BB tanks for me!

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey neat. that means you just lift out stuff and set it in the new tank :)

fish disease + behavioral planning sets your stocking order and rates not the filter bacteria on the transferred rocks. no testing whatsoever for cycle params is helpful here, it can only cause doubt and get you to add things like Prime or other bacteria. those rocks are full up on bacteria.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey neat. that means you just lift out stuff and set it in the new tank :)

fish disease + behavioral planning sets your stocking order and rates not the filter bacteria on the transferred rocks. no testing whatsoever for cycle params is helpful here, it can only cause doubt and get you to add things like Prime or other bacteria. those rocks are full up on bacteria.
All that said. . . stocking ideas?

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch out for jumping fish as you're moving tanks, we see some losses like that. a guy had his wrasse jump out of the new tank recently/watch for coverings and lids if you have prone jumpers.

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their preferences and you still haven’t had your question answered. I’m just going to give you a list of what is in my 32g since they all cohabitate well. 2 ocellaris clowns, royal gramma, sixline wrasse, yellow tailed damsel and diamond watchman goby ( a no go for a bb, perhaps a blenny).

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back