Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On march 2, I transferred everything over from a 65 gallon 2 yr old tank to a 180 gallon with additional dry rock. Everything is doing great! So it’s been running with all the livestock and mixed reef coral for about 10 full days. No ammonia or nitrites.

I want to rearrange coral and even replace some rock sculptures from the old system with new dry rock. But I do not want to set myself back with doing so. I have not added any life to the new system that I did not already have. How long should I wait if I decide to remove old rock and replace with new dry rock?
I had a rock scape using all new stuff but when I did the transfer I put what I could of the new stuff into the sump and the rest was removed from the tank.
the first picture is now.. you can see the old stuff is mostly on the right side. The second pic is the way I wanted it before the transfer.

DC4D0B81-E921-41D4-8B12-B52D797BFC2F.jpeg
06AACD63-EE65-43D8-A30E-EDF12476E2CB.jpeg

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your other new is in the sump, could you switch them to get your new rock work into the display and put your established rock in the sump. Your old rock is definitely the driver of you bio filter at this point. 10 days will not have established much in the new, unless you cycled the tank before the switch.

I recently pulled a significant portion of my older rock from a 210 to replace it with life rock as I wanted a different scape. Things looked great to start, but then I started having some real issues with corals and might even have some Dino’s going on.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your other new is in the sump, could you switch them to get your new rock work into the display and put your established rock in the sump. Your old rock is definitely the driver of you bio filter at this point. 10 days will not have established much in the new, unless you cycled the tank before the switch.

I recently pulled a significant portion of my older rock from a 210 to replace it with life rock as I wanted a different scape. Things looked great to start, but then I started having some real issues with corals and might even have some Dino’s going on.
Thanks. I figured it was too early but didn’t know if 1 month, or 2 or so on would be ok.

Nutramar Foods

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I figured it was too early but didn’t know if 1 month, or 2 or so on would be ok.
Just watch to see how it reacts. You might see a small ugly stage. Is so, when that clears you should be ok.

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you just put all the new but dry rocks in buckets filled with salt water, add some bottled bio filter, put in an air stone and let them run for two weeks before testing for zero ammonia and replacing the old rocks with them?

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you just put all the new but dry rocks in buckets filled with salt water, add some bottled bio filter, put in an air stone and let them run for two weeks before testing for zero ammonia and replacing the old rocks with them?
Well, that’s kinda the same concept I’m asking about. I failed to mention I did use FritzZyme turbo start 900 also. I’m just curious how long it takes to establish new when mixed with old?
In all honesty though, I started moving some coral around last night and things are already looking better to my eyes. Everything was placed together due to the smaller tank it came from and it was just really an eyesore for me

CLICK TO VIEW
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back