Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 20 years off and on (mostly off) running a 46 gal bow front reef tank, I found myself moving to a bigger house about a mile and a half away from my original house. With the daunting prospect of moving my tank and re-setting up I saw this as a perfect opportunity to get a larger tank to keep tangs and larger fish I desired. My current tank is running off a canister filter with hob protein skimmer and refugium. I run a pair ofcurrent USA orbit marine lights with a 36” reefbrite as a supplement. I liked the ability to control my lights and pumps in a fairly inexpensive package. I eventually added an icecap 2k flow pump as well. The system was rebooted early 2020 and has been running pretty well but I felt the limits of its size. I always intended To get a bigger tank in 2022.

BE6A8C7E-DB84-4BFC-8164-228A3221825C.jpeg

My main issues were maintaining water quality without a Rodi system so I had the typical hair algae and cyano problems. I had the system in a room that nobody spent much time in, so I made it a bit hard on myself to work on and enjoy the tank.

With a new bigger place with more available room I am turning the basement main area into an office/man cave. I initially looked for a 6ft long tank from Waterbox or Red Sea. The area I picked was perfect for a peninsula tank so I focused on that style. I also looked into Planet aquarium tanks and found that all were good choices but with COVID supply issues I was looking at 4-8 week wait times. I stumbled upon Cade systems at Algae Barn and found them to be very attractive setups. After some research and videos I settled on the Cade 1500 SP2 at 60” x 29.5” x 24”. I found that tank gave me the volume I was looking for but would also cost a bit less because I wasn’t lighting a 6ft tank. So I closed on my new house and had the new tank delivered.
CA201960-235E-435F-B18D-934A82EE622F.jpeg

Moving the beast took 4 people but I got it in place and ready to go. Matt from Blue Line Coral in Naperville made sure we got the tank in safely. He was tremendous.

DB6D93F3-AEE7-41FB-B352-87C286EF06D0.jpeg

Next I set up the Rodi system, Aquascape, and all the equipment. The provided plumbing was easy to set up.
I went with:
BRS 5 stage water saver 200gbd rodi
Maxspect Jump 12k return pump
Bubble Magus Curve 9 elite skimmer
Ice Cap 2k and 4K gyres
two 300 w heaters on an InkBird controller
Reefbreeder Photon 50+ v2 lights
F563D313-D2B7-491D-86A5-180DF1B2E914.jpeg
CDF9BB3C-D51E-45A3-96FA-F472AD20E871.jpeg
DA5A07C5-D380-4591-9D06-A8EBE043480E.jpeg

After getting my office and lounge setup. I tested the tank for leaks, and filled th tank to prepare to cycle it. Today my fishless cycle, 9 days after starting is complete. Transferring livestock this week.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully support this tank! you will LOVE the peninsula! I can say O have a CADE but I do have the larges red sea peninsula the 650P and just love all the viewing areas.

some thinks to note about peninsula's
~flow can be tricky if you dont want a PH on the glass end. but totally doable.
~ so much more room corals corals. this is both a positive and negative as spendy to make the tank look full. BUT you got lots of room for them :)
~ I made islands for the different corals I want to keep ( softies LPS and SPS )
~ I know the CADE cabbi is designed so much better the the RS I have pips going over where my electronic will be...boo i know something to think about when placing your controller and other gear.
~get a good glass cleaner your gonna need it.

**** and the biggest one I so wish I though about***
if you are going to get a screen top get it in 2 pieces Its a real pain to take off a 5 foot floppy screen then have the full top open to fish jumping while you feed your corals or what not.

have fun buddy!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
J

jayoman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully support this tank! you will LOVE the peninsula! I can say O have a CADE but I do have the larges red sea peninsula the 650P and just love all the viewing areas.

some thinks to note about peninsula's
~flow can be tricky if you dont want a PH on the glass end. but totally doable.
~ so much more room corals corals. this is both a positive and negative as spendy to make the tank look full. BUT you got lots of room for them :)
~ I made islands for the different corals I want to keep ( softies LPS and SPS )
~ I know the CADE cabbi is designed so much better the the RS I have pips going over where my electronic will be...boo i know something to think about when placing your controller and other gear.
~get a good glass cleaner your gonna need it.

**** and the biggest one I so wish I though about***
if you are going to get a screen top get it in 2 pieces Its a real pain to take off a 5 foot floppy screen then have the full top open to fish jumping while you feed your corals or what not.

have fun buddy!
Fortunately the Cades come with a screen too included as well as a power station. They think of almost everything.

OP
OP
J

jayoman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update on the tank. I successfully transferred Livestock from my old tank to this one. In addition, a few new fish and coral frags have been added. Current Livestock includes:

1 Bluehead Wrasse
1 Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel
2 Ranfordi Gobies
1 Lawnmower Blenny
2 Misbar Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Naso Tang
1 Ruby Red Dragonet
6 Paletail Chromis
1 Diadema Pseudochromis
1 Regal Tang
1 Talbot Damsel
2 Emerald Crabs
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
5 Acro Frags
3 Hammers
2 Frogspawn
1 Torch
4 Acan Lords
3 Duncans
Several Zoa Colonies and Frags
3 Toadstool Leathers
Various CUC Snails and Hermits

I am receiving this week
1 Purple Tang
1 Mimic Tang
1 Hoeven's Wrasse
1 Lamark Angel
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
1 Fire Shrimp
2 More Acro Frags
1 Trachy

IMG_0680.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
J

jayoman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Set up, I am using the same light works great on the Peninsula do you have the Nexus Upgrade?
No, I’m considering it, but once I set up the lights on the remote, there was not much reason to mess with it. I may upgrade in the future but I’m going to let it run a few months before I tinker with it more. Have a bit of sticker shock still and I will be more in stocking mode before I add more equipment.

bpbonds

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I’m considering it, but once I set up the lights on the remote, there was not much reason to mess with it. I may upgrade in the future but I’m going to let it run a few months before I tinker with it more. Have a bit of sticker shock still and I will be more in stocking mode before I add more equipment.
Yeah I hear you, Good Luck with the tank looks great!

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquarium Specialty
Back