Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, per my other thread I have started replacing the rock with some beautiful aquascape (one more piece is being glued together currently). This will help solve my nitrate problem plus my nano skimmer came today (rated for 20 gallon not 40, but I don’t want to strip all the nutrients out for coral).

so, what do I do about this 2 hour strong of natural sunlight. Closing our blinds helps a bit but it’s my wife’s office and they can’t be closed while she’s working. As you can see from the photo. That 2 hour period it is very direct hitting all sides of the tank.

my plants in the freshwater tanks outcompete algae so never had a problem before.

13D6373F-D3A3-4ECF-A16E-CAC57A11DA2B.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Okay, per my other thread I have started replacing the rock with some beautiful aquascape (one more piece is being glued together currently). This will help solve my nitrate problem plus my nano skimmer came today (rated for 20 gallon not 40, but I don’t want to strip all the nutrients out for coral).

so, what do I do about this 2 hour strong of natural sunlight. Closing our blinds helps a bit but it’s my wife’s office and they can’t be closed while she’s working. As you can see from the photo. That 2 hour period it is very direct hitting all sides of the tank.

my plants in the freshwater tanks outcompete algae so never had a problem before.

View attachment 2969368
I hd issue with my Pet store tanks and I added a sheet of black construction paper to the side facing the window and algae issue I had was gone in two weeks. of course utilize snails to help with control such as : Astrea- turbo grazer- cerith-nerite

OP
OP
T

ToSurfOrNot

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hd issue with my Pet store tanks and I added a sheet of black construction paper to the side facing the window and algae issue I had was gone in two weeks. of course utilize snails to help with control such as : Astrea- turbo grazer- cerith-nerite
I was planning on dosing vibrant for a while and an urchin but the problem is it’s not just the side. It’s the front of the tank. Due to the position of our house it’s hitting all sides. I’ve thought about moving it. But I don’t have anyone to help and it’s a massive undertaking. I suppose I could try leaving a curtain over the tank until late morning. But would not prefer another daily chore.

Nutramar Foods

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks design their tanks around the use of natural sunlight; its free and probably the best light you can get. Just sayin... you could embrace it and use it as well :) That said blackout curtains/blinds are great at controlling light levels at the sunniest parts of the day imo. Also as said ^^, you can wrap the tank. I picked up a roll of some black static cling vinyl off amazon

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was planning on dosing vibrant for a while and an urchin but the problem is it’s not just the side. It’s the front of the tank. Due to the position of our house it’s hitting all sides. I’ve thought about moving it. But I don’t have anyone to help and it’s a massive undertaking. I suppose I could try leaving a curtain over the tank until late morning. But would not prefer another daily chore.
UV is very strong and will penetrate shades/blinds/curtains. You can apply the Constuction paper to the window with tape and hang during that two hour period then take it down. Prom with CUC is while they work on algae, often they cannot keep up with the fast algae production from sunlight

OP
OP
T

ToSurfOrNot

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks design their tanks around the use of natural sunlight; its free and probably the best light you can get. Just sayin... you could embrace it and use it as well :) That said blackout curtains/blinds are great at controlling light levels at the sunniest parts of the day imo. Also as said ^^, you can wrap the tank. I picked up a roll of some black static cling vinyl off amazon
So do you think it’s okay just utilizing sunlight and adjusting my reef light for fewer hours. I suppose it might have been having both on daily for that 2-3 hour window that really fed the algae.

World Wide Corals

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you think it’s okay just utilizing sunlight and adjusting my reef light for fewer hours. I suppose it might have been having both on daily for that 2-3 hour window that really fed the algae.
I do yes. It can be done. Whether its easy or not idk as its simply not as controllable but I gotta think corals would love natural sunlight.

Here's just one example. I think it was even totm here on r2r...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
T

ToSurfOrNot

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do yes. It can be done. Whether its easy or not idk as its simply not as controllable but I gotta think corals would love natural sunlight.

Here's just one example. I think it was even totm here on r2r...
Thank you. I didn’t think about using it so much as it is a problem.

TopClamSkoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my tank getting some natural sunlight during the day. Natural sunlight does not automatically mean you will have algae issues.
VERY TRUE!
I have sunlight hitting my side and front glass every single day.
Never had problems with algae getting out of control. Maybe a bit more than usual, but never out of control.
Been in the hobby since 2005, I currently got a 10 gallon nano and no skimmer. just carbon and sock.
Just keep up with water changes weekly - biweekly, test water when you can, dose if needed, and never overfeed. That will control your concern about algae.
Other than that, just simply wipe away algae each day with a magnet cleaner. Your gonna get algae on glass and rocks even if sunlight doesnt hit it

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back