+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!

Longtime lurker of this forum but decided it was about time i make an account and start a build thread to share my experiences.

Little Introduction to my fish keep history. Started with a small 12L betta tank around 6years ago which within 2weeks was a 24L tank then a few months after i had a 100L Freshwater community tank. Things escalated from plastic plants to real plants and aquascaping. The obesssion kept growing and a 200L was purchased within the year.

Curiosity got the better of me and around 3years ago my first reef was started, a Juwel 120L cube. Alot of money wasted wasted on corals and really having no idea was i was doing taking advice from multiple different lfs and people and trying to combine them all.
IMG-20190421-WA0007.jpeg

The 200L Freshwater was converted to Saltwater, external canister filter and hang on back skimmer.
20191103_111705.jpg

This setup worked well for quite some time until i got white spot on the tank after buying a tiny regal/hippo tang (more on him later) from a different store. Lost all the fish bar 1 Clown and some how the regal. This really disheartened me from the hobby for a while and the tank was pretty much on autopilot with nearly no maintenance and i lost most of the corals in the process.

Covid struck and i was sat inside looking a the tank for a few weeks before i decided i had to sort it out and make a restart.
This is the last picture i have of it before the breakdown to move into the redsea
20201210_190225.jpg

The time came to make the upgrade to a proper reef tank and my Red Sea was purchased and the build began.
Equipment i went with:
2x Hydra 26HD's
Reef Octopus 110s
Nyos Reactor
TMC Return pump
Maxspect Jump Gyre
Reef Factory Doser
DD Heater and controller
20210321_110936.jpg

Sump was next to setup
IMG_20210322_003852_194.jpg

Gate valve was a must for controlling the flow

IMG_20210328_114238_953.jpg

Rock Scape was next to go in
20210411_220549.jpg

Fish and Corals got moved over

20210704_113949.jpg

I got quite into softies thanks to the ease of maintenance and working 2 jobs i was rarely getting a chance to keep an eye on the tank so it worked out well for me and the tank took off and things are going strong. I need to get a more recent picture after my last visit to the LFS to trade in some of the kenya trees for a frogspawn and a couple of small sps pieces to try now the tank is very stable and happy.

PXL_20230210_223725191.MP.jpg

Now i know the tang police are going to be in here very shortly so ill get my cover story in now. Remember that hippo tang i mentioned that helped wipe out my tank before? Yeah thats him now a few years later after being in a friends red sea 350 fowlr tank. This is by no means his permanent home with me, he was in my friends qt tank the past few months as he had broke down the red sea to have his large lagoon tank setup. So in the meantime to give him some more space to cruise about hes having a holiday with me.

This is the tank he will be living his years out in once its up and running
3x1 meter and i think 40ish cm tall
IMG-20200307-WA0006.jpg

Theres many steps ive forgot but thank you for taking the time to read. I hope to build this out with things little projects ive done and as i try to make the transition from softies over to LPS and SPS!

Ive got an insta with some more content on it and things from my journey with this tank TheScottishReefer feel free to have a look over there.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
T

TheScottishReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies! Ill try and get him persuaded to start a thread on the lagoon as its going to be quite the build when its finished up and wet.

Softies really are, luckily my lfs stocks some really nice ones to choose from.
Aslong as you dont ask for proof of me being a true scotsman you might have a deal haha!

Snapped a pic of the tank tonight for a little update:
IMG_20230305_172139~2.jpg

Can we post videos on here? :thinking-face:

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies! Ill try and get him persuaded to start a thread on the lagoon as its going to be quite the build when its finished up and wet.

Aslong as you dont ask for proof of me being a true scotsman you might have a deal haha!

View attachment 3050149

Very nice! Following!

Corals.com

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3050149

the best way I have found to post videos it Up load to youtube and copy and past the link here.

OP
OP
T

TheScottishReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've changed things up a bit in the tank the past couple weeks. Decided to start on the LPS garden and also picked up some easier SPS frags to try out. So far so good and everything seems healthy, just monitoring levels so I can get the 2 part dosing dialed in ☺️.

Little video of the tank as it sits the now

And a pic update aswell!
PXL_20230327_162809561.MP.jpg

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back