Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, we are 3 months into our first salt water aquarium. All is going fairly well. Was doing a water change today. Turned off the pump. Started filling back the aquarium with new salt water and turned the pump on before the water level and reached the overflow. All kinds of unfiltered material came rushing through the return nozzles including uneaten, shrimp and some dead body parts from a deceased member of the aquarium we had lost. Where is all of that stuff coming from and why did it decide to come barreling out when I was doing the water change? I probably should have waited to turn the pump back on until the water level was full and I had returned the same amount of water to the tank that I removed. Thank you so much for any comments you may have and I apologize in advance if this is a rudimentary question,., I probably just messed up turning the pump on too soon.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Quietman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of that always happens although sounds like you might have won a prize for variety. I think it's do items getting clogged/bound up with flow in one direction and turning the pump off allows them to 'fall off' or become dislodged, then when pump back on - whoosh - fish confetti.

Consider it food for the tank. You can put filters pre-pump (sponges) but I still end up with a little bit after maintenance.

OP
OP
jbrat22

jbrat22

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of that always happens although sounds like you might have won a prize for variety. I think it's do items getting clogged/bound up with flow in one direction and turning the pump off allows them to 'fall off' or become dislodged, then when pump back on - whoosh - fish confetti.

Consider it food for the tank. You can put filters pre-pump (sponges) but I still end up with a little bit after maintenance.
Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought the same thing. But was a little concerned. The fish would definitely going crazy enjoying the buffet when this occurred. Lol

World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back